Notices

My first meeting

Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first meeting

So I did it. I went to my first meeting this morning. I want to cry right now because I feel I never received that much love and support in an hour.

You are right, no one judge me. One of the man asked me if I knew I was I AA meeting because I look really healthy. I said yes, I said I am unhealthy in my head and in my heart.

I listened to them, they listened to me. I told them why I wanted to stop drinking. We talked about the 3 rd chapter. Now I'm really sad that I won't be able to attend that meeting everyday because of my work schedule.

I have now a sponsor. The person is really great. This amazing person stayed with me after the meeting and we talked for 1 hour. She recommended me a radio station to help with spirituality, she recommended me a therapist for my anxiety. She guided me through the beginning of my journey.

I feel like I have 500 lbs lifted off my shoulder. I will try everything I can to do the 90 meetings in 90 days.

I can see some light at the End of this darn tunnel of self inflicted pain.

Thanks for helping me and in recommending this.

Now I would like to invite all the newcomers to also do the same.

Prion
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great news Prion, very happy you've found something that works for you. Best of luck and keep us in the loop here at SR on your progress.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks for going to that meeting, from the bottom of my heart. It makes me happy to hear that folks at SR have gone to a meeting and see that it is the answer to sobriety. My sobriety does not succeed if you are not at that meeting.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Prion. I am going to my first meeting today or tomorrow, depending on where and when it is offered. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i'm so happy for you!!!! congrats on making such a huge step and on getting a sponsor so quickly!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats great! Just throw yourself in there! I love going to meetings, theres just so much to learn weather your just listening to some old-timers, venting resentments or doing service work.

Congratulations!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its always great to hear a good AA first meeting story. I'm glad yours went well.

To others that maybe didn't have a good first meeting - go back and try it again. You have nothing to lose.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done to you Prion. Amazing first step and long may you continue. Always remember in the words of a wise old General....we are not retreating ....we are simply advancing in a different direction !!!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well said Taking5, a councilor told me in Rehab ....go to your first room meeting and if you do not like the room go to another one. If you don't like that room go to another....and if you dont like that room.....ask yourself is it the room or me !!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Im so glad you went. I know its hard to believe from strangers that have had those same feelings, but the truth is we all at some point took those same 1st steps through those doors. With the same fear, apprehension, doubt.

But when you walk in with nothing more than the expectation that you do not like the way you are living now. It really is a wonderful place.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congrats on making it to your first meeting with a good attitude. It looks like you hit a home run and found a good home group. Welcome.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm just back from my first meeting too, and also had a great experience, as I've posted on other threads.

Prion, I want to thank you for your opening post......I read it about 10 minutes before I was due to leave to go to my meeting. I was TERRIFIED, about to bottle out (pardon the pun) and not go, and reading your post encouraged me to go.

I'm SO glad I did, so thank you. x
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you! I felt the same way at my first meeting and I look forward going every day.. Kudos to you!! We have early meetings, noon 4pm and 530pm in my area.. If you can't make the same meeting try another time.. Also reach out and try another group.. You made my day reading your thread!! Keep up the great work!! Keep going back it works if you work it, and you're worth it!!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Kudos to you as well Britaboard.. Good stuff!!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dave! I'm so proud of myself that I did it.

And thanks again to Prion......I mean this seriously, I might not have gone today without reading his / her thread.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's wonderful news, Prion (and brita). I'm glad it helped to comfort & encourage you.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was scared sh&$(less to say the least before going. Me going there meant that I actually have accepted the fact that I do have a problem and I'm trying to do something about it. It took me countless panic attack to wake up. I now realize that I need help. I self-medicated my feelings and emotions and for a few years I was truly believing that I was now healthy. I even tricked myself In believing that I had less problems then everybody else: I drank only on weekend (10-15 drinks/night), I ran and I had quit smoking. It's a lie that I even started believing.

I really want to thank you all. I means, you gonna save my life kinda thank you.

I am not turning back. I'm 5 days totally sober and starting to feel better, other than for the anxiety that is creeping in.

You will never know how good life can really be unless you give it your 100% and frankly, I tried everything else and I still have a problem so I have nothing to lose.

Hugs, prion
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's great news, welcome to SR!