Notices

I don't like who I am when I drink

Old 03-05-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't like who I am when I drink

I don't like who I am when I drink. I don't like the bad decisions I make. I don't like the hangovers the next day that cause me to miss things. I don't like alcohol anymore. I am a binge drinker and drink to the point of blackouts. It's time to stop. I don't have a support system at all, everyone thinks I'm overreacting but I'm not.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone thought I was overreacting too - but I knew.
Welcome Nienne
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It sounds like you are willing. Grab hold and enjoy the ride...
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much! I am so glad I found this forum because i don't have anyone else to talk to. I want to do this so badly!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Nienne. I am a binge drinker too. I hate the decisions I make when I drink. I hate the person I am after I drink. I am trying to come to terms with my own issues and I find reading through the threads very helpful. Hopefully through this forum you will find a place to talk about what is going on with you and feel like you have some support.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't like the person I became when drunk, too.
The horrible hangovers made me miss so much of living it makes me ill to think about.
There are ways out. Stick around here, do what you have to to stay sober.
Just think of where that first drink will lead you.

Best to you.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

After nearly 30 years of drinking, I detested the person I became. After getting sober, I slowly learned to love the person that I truly am.

Stick around, you'll get lots of support here
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome to SR, I totally understand. everyone thought i was overreacting too. They said 'oh just drink less, cut down, just have a couple, stop when you've had too many etc etc etc' If only it was that easy! I realized that it didn't matter what others thought or said. It only matters what I thought and I knew I had a problem. I'm coming up for 3 months sober now and life is so much better, peaceful and just calmer, less worry, fear and shame. life really does get better. SR is a great support system with great advice. Welcome
Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Always a good reminder for me, since my brain wants me to forget the insane person I turn into and the consequences of my of my drinking. I am slowly coming to (47 days sober). It seems like years. I'm beginning to like myself a little bit more everyday. Thanks for being there for me SR members.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Nienne. You sound a lot like me, I too would drink until blacking out, and said and did things I would never do sober. We are on the right path to finding out who we really are. Leaving alcohol behind was the best decision I ever made!

-alison
Old 03-06-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was A blackout drinker myself. The scary thing was towards the end the blackout would happen earlier on than when I was younger. It seems like I could have 3 or 4 drinks and be plastered. I don't know if this is common but it became the norm for me. What got really scary is when I would have 2 drinks at lunch and completely forget that conversation the next day. I was not much of a friend .... It isn't easy. Now I forget I have a drinking problem. Being sober feels so natural. Reading And posting on SR help me remember.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't worry about the people who say you are over reacting. You can't let their opinions define you and make your decision to quit. I was told to quit drinking by doctors and my "friends" still told me I was over reacting, too.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Nienne. I have only been a member of this community for a week. However, there are some great people here that can encourage and help. I'll leave it to those more experienced to give advice. Glad your here...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exactly what Ivegotsunshine said! Blackouts are a pretty good clue you've reached the "end of the line." Naturally, I didn't stop drinking for a few years after I first started blacking out but it seemed like I suddenly started going backwards from that first blackout. What I could drink became less and less and less until just one or two drinks could cause a blackout or memory loss. Alcoholism is defintiely a progressive disease in that it gets worse and worse as what you can handle gets less and less. And when someone explains your behavior the next day during the blackout and you find yourself thinking, "Me??! I would NEVER do/say that in a thousand years!" Well, that's the end of the line too.

If you think you have a problem, that's all you need to stop. What other people say or think just doesn't matter. That's hard to accept/deal with in the first days of sobriety but it does become easier. Hang in there and keep posting!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I didn't like myself when I was sober, so you're already ahead of the game. You will succeed. You can always find better friends.

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hated myself so much when I drank that I gave the drunk person in me another name. I called myself Elton (Elton was a person I knew who died of cirrhosis at the age of 40, Elton was always drunk.)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I truely hated myself when wasted.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Nienne, I could have written this post myself. It is exactly how I feel. Welcome to SR.