My Yellow Brick Road

Old 04-30-2004, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Yellow Brick Road

This is probably going to be too long but, when I started this journey, I would have found it helpful so here goes.

I have never been one to have blind faith in anything. If someone told me to do something, I always had to know "Why am I doing it?" "What's going to happen if I do?" "How long will it take to happen?" I would need explanations and reasons and guarantees. This is why it was so hard for me to start my recovery. I saw no guarantees, no answers to my questions. Everyone said "Just do it. Trust me." I honestly believe that if I wasn't so desperate and so lost, I would have been my usual stubborn self, been too skeptical and not even tried.

To me, recovery is like the Wizard of Oz. Glenda sends Dorothy down the Yellow Brick Road to find her answers. Along the way, Dorothy meets up with other people who are looking for answers and tells them "Someone told me this is the way. I don't know what will happen, but come along with me if you want and we'll find out." Amazingly, when Dorothy and her friends reach the Emerald City, the Tin Man realizes that he always had a heart, the Scarecrow realizes that he always had a brain, the Lion realizes that he always had courage and, of course, Dorothy realizes that she always had a way home.

If Glenda had told them at the beginning of the journey that they already had what they were seeking, they wouldn't have understood. They wouldn't have believed her. She may not have even known what they were looking for. She only knew that, if they followed the road, they would find it. They had to find out for themselves.

This, to me, is like recovery. You have to start walking down the road without knowing what will happen. You must start with blind faith that this is the way. You have to make the journey yourself. You have to fight the wicked witch and the flying monkeys. You have to keep going even when you are confused and it seems hopeless.

When you reach the Emerald City, you will smile and with complete confidence and a little amazement say to yourself - "I had it all along." You do have what you want within you, but you have to learn that for yourself.

Just put your little ruby red slipper on that very first yellow brick in the road. Start posting, go to a meeting, read everything you can get your hands on, start thinking about what you are hearing and what you are reading. Just take a step. Fortunately, we have several Glendas at SR to watch over us and all of us munchkins will be cheering you on. You won't be alone.

You already have it - go find it.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Re: My Yellow Brick Road

L -

Thanks so much! this is a keeper
Old 04-30-2004, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Lorelai! This is such a great way to look at our journey of recovery!
-sfg29
Old 04-30-2004, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

What a way with words you have Lorelia! I am certainly glad you took that first step.

That is great. :star
Old 04-30-2004, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Don't forget that along the way they had to face a wicked witch, flying monkeys, and a poppy field that put them into a spell. There is a lot of resistance to recovery from those who rely on us staying down. Really good analogy Lorelai! Hugs, Magic
Old 06-13-2004, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KingsWeaver, We Are One

Red face That is awesome!

Hey L,
You do have a great way with words, ever think about writing a book!!

Anyway thank you for that

Love you girl,

Penelope
Old 06-13-2004, 12:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Super post!!!!