Notices

Insomnia. I haz it.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insomnia. I haz it.

Any good techniques for dealing with insomnia?

I'm averaging about two-three hours of sleep a night. I've been drinking a lot of tea lately and recently discovered a "Sleepytime" herbal brew, but...well, it certainly doesn't work as well as the weed or alcohol (as we all know.)

Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Look up Valerian Root. Hope this helps
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I can't give medical advice but talk to your doctor.

Exercise moderately 3 or more hours before bed, cut caffeine after about 12:00, bedroom for sleep only and establishing a bedtime routine worked pretty good for me.

Also, i used to wake up often and get mad when i did. Don't stress out about it, it just makes it worse!!

Good luck to you!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think nearly everyone deals with it...it gets better.

There are some common sense tips here tho:
10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

it certainly doesn't work as well as the weed or alcohol (as we all know.)
'work as well'?
Both pot and booze robbed me of sleep eventually - the more you use it, the more counter productive it becomes.

There's a real difference between a good natural night's sleep and simply passing out.

D
Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
'work as well'?
Both pot and booze robbed me of sleep eventually - the more you use it, the more counter productive it becomes.

There's a real difference between a good natural night's sleep and simply passing out.

D
Dee74, you're totally right. I was being flippant, I apologize.

Thank you for the advice. I don't know what tonight's sleep will bring, but I don't dread it. I've got my Sleepytime tea and it's been overall a good day so maybe I'll find some peace tonight.

Hope everyone else does, too!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Exercise really does help.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's my first night with no sleeping pills tonight. Stressing hard. Even with them still waking 4/5 times. I'm drinking sleep tea like there's no tomorrow. I do use guided meditation found at meditation oasis to some success. In going to go for a hard walk down to and along the beach tonight and hope that helps. Wishing you all sweet sweet dreams tonight x
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not sure how long you have been sober, but I was on a low dose sleep aid to sleep the 1st month. But decided I needed to try a routine & reading to try to sleep on my own. Just didnt want to rely on pills to sleep. I relyed on alcohol for too long. & that never really gave me good sleep anyhow.

I'm only 50days sober & am just starting to be able to sleep on my own for 5-6 hrs now. Which for me is great because in my drinking days it was less than an hour at a time, unless I could really Pass out from the alcohol for a while instead.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep, or both?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Been dealing with that too. Each day I get a few more minutes of sleep. I am on day 11. I can not give medical advise but one thing might help. No tv for 30 minutes before sleep, no computer, reading is good. Hope it helps.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey just to update. Ran out of sleeping pills, busy working so couldn't get to docs for more. So I had to do it solo. I went to bed about ten thirty. Read for nearly two hours, was prepared for that so wasn't stressing too much. Eventually couldn't keep my eyes open, turned out the light about 12:40 and ...... Woke up to my alarm at 7 am !!!! Slept whole way thru, no waking as I have done on the pills. Next night same thing but light turned out a half hour earlier. Was absolutely wrapped with the outcome. I had a lot of anxiety about not having a sleep aid. Turns out it was better without. Not that I'm discounting the two weeks of help they gave me. I did need something. But very pleased I don't have to rely on another drug to get me through.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistlechild View Post
recently discovered a "Sleepytime" herbal brew, but...well, it certainly doesn't work as well as the weed or alcohol (as we all know.)
Mistlechild the Sleepytime tea and similar ones have vital volatile oils which you can lose if you don't brew it properly. Either put it in a mug with a lid or in a cup then brew it with a saucer on the cup. Drink it as hot as you can without scalding your tongue and inhale those volatile oils.

Dried lavendar or a lavendar pillow helps sleep too. You can buy a lavendar pillow as a little flat thing about 12"x12", slip it inside the pillowcase of your regular pillow -- or make your own if you are so inclined. Sweet dreams.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Mistlechild.

I'm about 5 months sober and I've been struggling with insomnia most of this time. Just about two-three weeks ago I finally got my share of regular night sleep. That's what worked for me:

- cutting computer time - I forced myself to turn off the laptop about 2 hours before going to bed. It really helped.

- Melatonin - I took it for about two-three weeks, now I don't need it any more.

- exercising - it's better to exercise before 7-8 p.m. so you don't wind up your nervous system.

Best wishes to you)
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Melatonin and valerian root help
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Exercise can help. And you don't need to be a gym lug. A good brisk walk for 30 or 45 minutes works wonders (although, you will probably need a few days for it take full effect). And I believe exercise helps greatly with recovery in general.