Notices

Still sober and amazed

Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still sober and amazed

I am still amazed at how great I feel since letting go of alcohol and deciding it can not be a part of me...

After half a year of "trying" I feel things coming together. I have only linked 14 days together in this lengthy quest but am beginning to feel a peace... But thse 14 day stretches have been numerous. Here are the benefits I'm experiencing in my life as a short time sober human being:

More energy

Better sleep/natural sleep

Natural wake up feeling great

Enjoying coffee, tea, and other drinks much more

Steps taken to go after my dreams instead of feeling an entitlement and disappointment they didn't come to me.

Much more time with my kids and that time is more enjoyable and MUCH more productive. My absolute biggest regret is the time I lost with my kids. By far.

My wife is my best friend again. We are lovers again... We are having much more fun together sober than we ever did drinking.

I don't worry about driving.

My anxiety is gone as well as those weird physical "what is wrong with me" symptoms that lead so many of us to the ER.

I call my parents and siblings more often... And don't ramble on about nonsense I won't remember.

My exercise is better. My firm beer belly is shrinking. My diet is no longer all garbage and nonexistent to leave room for alcohol...

I am finding it easier to leave the past and become excited about the future...

AND I AM SO GRATEFUL God has been patient enough to allow me to see just how life sober can be. Stay strong...
Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to see such a long list of positives Paddler Well done on your progress x
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats a fabulous post.
I'm really happy for you.

I know just what you mean about driving.
No more fear when the rozzers are behind you, because you know you are 100% clean and sober.

And loosing that process of drinking, then the strange ache that you become convinced is your liver, then drinking even more to try and take your mind off it is akin to being tortured.

I am sure it will keep on getting better and better for you my friend xx
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations. The sucess stories are always inspriing.

My favorite: "Much more time with my kids and that time is more enjoyable and MUCH more productive. My absolute biggest regret is the time I lost with my kids. By far."
Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. =)
Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What wonderful news, Paddler. Many of the things on your list are on mine, too. I like what you said about feeling at peace. I'm so happy you're doing well - and the best is yet to be.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good work Paddler. Sounds like you are well on your way. I also have a list of benefits to being sober and it gets longer all the time. I also have kept a list of the negatives of drinking which is pretty long itself. In cognitive behavioral therapy that is what is called doing a cost benefit analysis. It is always something you can pull out and look at when you have urges. I keep mine on my smartphone so it is always handy.