Notices

Pain meds/ to take or not to take

Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain meds/ to take or not to take

I went off everything last week and decided to stop drinking and partying. I started getting sick this week-end and had to go to the emergency. I develop a lung infection and the doctor told me to take pain medicine to help me sleep/rest/stop coughing. I am honestly in pain, but I am concern that a Tylenol with codeine might help temporarily the pain but create more issues.

What is your take on this? When do you make exception or is it absolutely out of the question and you use the power of god to help you with the pain? What about other meds like antibiotic/ anxiety meds?

Thanks,

Ps I just realized that the username I picked means : pray in French ...

Prions
Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi Prion
I recently had 2 teeth removed under general anaesthetic, I was given co-codemol for the pain but haven't used them... not worth it to be honest... I just took paracetamol/asprin, worked fine I also have a bad cold now and I just take non-drowsy cough syrup... no point taking stuff you can get addicted to... hope you feel better soon
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Prescribed medicine taken as prescribed, shouldn't be a problem. But if you are concerned, then maybe the best thing would be to not take it. You'll recover without pain meds, it is just a matter of how comfortable or uncomfortable you want to be.

The most important is to not jeopardize your sobriety.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Did you share your drinking past and quitting history with the Doc? If you did ( and were honest ) and he still prescribed what he did I would take it if you need it.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If your completely comfortable with Tylonol 3s helping your problem then ask your doctor for motrin 800s instead of a narcotic, I'm always up front with my doctor, dentist visit ect. in letting them know I'm a recovering addict and they take that into consideration.

And I truley believe that Ibuprofen 800 help with nerve pain better than hydrocodone and codeine - but others differ
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't told him. I have a problem with not trusting people and not wanting my life to get spread , wanting to keep my demons with myself. That's the biggest issue.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too agree that you should tell your doctor. I've had trust issues with docs but they're not all the same.

Take only as prescribed and only if it's truly necessary.

Non narcotic meds work pretty good too.

Ask your pharmacist about those.

Hope you feel better soon!!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

remember our medical advice rule please guys

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
I take a number of pain killers - my doctor knows my full history - and they've never triggered old behaviour in me, but everyones different.

Prion if you're concerned, please go and speak with your Dr.

I think it's important to be honest when we have an addictive history - not disclosing it could be ill-advised at best, and dangerous at worst.

D
Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee,

Sorry about the look for advice things. I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

I will talk to my doctor tomorrow when I go.

Thanks,
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone's in trouble

best of luck tomorrow

D
Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
remember our medical advice rule please guys

I take a number of pain killers - my doctor knows my full history - and they've never triggered old behaviour in me, but everyones different.

Prion if you're concerned, please go and speak with your Dr.

I think it's important to be honest when we have an addictive history - not disclosing it could be ill-advised at best, and dangerous at worst.

D
AH, I see - sorry too, I was honestly just getting accross, tell your doc the truth - it can make a difference, didn't mean to spat out different medicines and what's what -
Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

thanks guys

D