Notices

How do you play in the dirt?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

How do you play in the dirt?

When I was a young boy ... G.I.Joes, the dirt, a few rocks and I had an adventure.

When I was drinking and drugging ... A bar, a crack pipe, a few rocks and I had an adventure.

For me....

Addiction is the process of losing my inner ability to satisfy myself. The turning inside out who I am.

Recovery is my plan to rediscover that adventure. Feeling again from the inside out.

I read at least several times a week about those struggling with the monotony, the boredom, the where the hell is the fun.... In living clean.

When I change gears in my car I have a momentary pause before I can speed up.

This last weekend I sat my arse on the couch all weekend practically. No energy. No desires. Without my routine of the work week I struggled to find the adventure within. Maybe I was pouting. Not sure. That's the past for now.

The comments I have seen here are reminding and inspiring me to remember what it was like to play on the dirt again.

I am every day this week going try to do something to break that monotony.

Take a different way home from work.

Go to the mall at 8 pm for the heck of it. I am never out of the house at 8 pm! That's not right.

Throw caution to the wind! Granted that's not exactly living on the edge. But for where I had been? Passed out at 8? It's like playing in the dirt!

Are you bored with being sober? What can you do to throw caution to the wind this week? How will you play in the dirt?

K
Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

That was awesome. I need to think about this. I need a little adventure during the week, but I can't think of what just yet.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great thread idea, W1966! It'll be warming up soon so I think I'll start prepping the soil of a garden area that's been neglected for the last few years. Thanks for the reminder to play in the dirt.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks non.... Looking forward to hearing about what you will do.

L2H sounds great! A little to early here in NY for that. Enjoy! Think about that feeling so it can be trapped for use later when the AV is calling.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love it. Great post!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome post Weasel.
Thanks for that.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We have to try new things. I get stuck in the same ol same ol all the time then yes! Get bored, thinking drinking is going to fix that up. Nope. It doesn't. Going to lay in the sun today for half hour. Don't do that often.

So insightful and such a good reminder. Thx ken.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Noooo I am not bored with being sober. But I have a hard time allowing that inner child permission to play. Do it better now than before, but still have to push myself. I am going to do 1 thing new each week. I will keep it real and post on this site what I did. You post how you allowed some fun in your life or change from the day before.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Nope, im not bored in sobriety and
yeppers I luv playing in the dirt. Just
remembering marbles in the dirt.

At the moment Im planting a new tree
and new red plants with fresh garden soil
to grow healthy and strong. In fact I
absolutely luv brand new bags of garden
soil to play with.

What and AWESOME GIFT to enjoy
in recovery...!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is a great post - my number one problem with sobriety is that it's boring! I love the feeling of that buzz that takes away inhibitions. Looking for another way to achieve that feeling is tricky
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kelle... Recovery for me is the plan to rediscover that feeling. A lot of other feelings as well. I got used to life being a single solitary note.

It's not as tricky as I see it being something I have to want. I can head to the amusement park and ride a really fun coaster to get a thirll. But my drunk side says why bother. You did it before so just go drink.

Not tricky really. If I want the thrill I can go get it.

Sorry to be long winded... Just feel like the right frame of mind is important.

Best to you.

Ken
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Rediscovery is just recovery with a dis.

I'm not sure that means anything, but I've had a lot of caffeine today and felt like sharing that observation.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I can find the world overstimulating and like my peace and quite , i am not a thrill seeker as such other than occasionally flooring the car and getting the V8 snarling and being pushed back into the seat
Only in peace and quite do i get in touch with creativity to make music, sing or paint , concentrate on fingering for keys or guitars , create sounds .
It also takes quite time , concentration and some inspiration for me to percieve different levels of existance when i'm concentrating on getting "centerd" and just enjoying the wonder of living , right here , right now .

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-05-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My urge for adventures are gone.
I like my life boring .
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Once it gets warm my plan is to buy a hammock for the balcony and some really great escapist fic.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today I am going to play at the my guitar class.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey oz11.. Last night I went for ice cream. The sat across in the coffe shop to people watch for a while. All at normal drunk times. Felt good.

Tonight there is a big storm coming so getting out is not what I want to do. So instead. I refuse to turn the TV on when I get home. Maybe read or do something else than I normally do.

Breaking my routine and doing things at drunk time still feels new.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This post speaks to me. I'm only a month in of honest sobriety (none of that "taking a break" crap) and I am excited for experiencing something new everyday. I hear what your saying with your roller coaster analogy. I was the same way. Booze was the cornerstone to everything I did, as long as I had it or knew i was going to get it I could enjoy myself and if I didn't then I would be so preoccupied I would miss out on what was happening around me. Then eventually nothing thrilled me. Give me free time to do what I want and it would be sitting, anywhere, drinking. This past month I've been taking the long way home. I've slowed down a bit. Soaked in the world around me. Thought about all the things I've always planned on doing an now actually thinking it's worth it.

“Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it”. - Ferris Bueller
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Weas...
A) I totally heart everything you write.
B) You rock.
C) I am all about the thrill...challenging myself...physically, emotionally, and intellectually, doing what scares me is what does it for me. Because of that, learning to be still, and introspective has actually been a thrill in itself for me-because that was always scary for me. Too scary to ever really do. I avoided it at all costs. Being next to fear and remaining calm is how I like to play in the dirt.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your right - I should think about the things I don't do because I'm a. too hung over b. too drunk all the time... Thanks for the new perspective Weasel1966!