Notices

New here

Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile New here

Hey everyone, my name is Jaclyn.
My boyfriend of 4 months is a recovering alcoholic. Just celebrated his 2 year and 3 month birthday!
Not to mention he quit smoking cigarettes and marijuana right before he met me.

It has been an interesting change of pace for me. I was a casual drinker [as I am 22] and smoker, and on our first date he made it pretty clear that he was a recovering alcoholic. I took it pretty seriously and ultimately I am so glad I have him and the lifestyle change has been so worth it. I quit smoking cigarettes as well and luckily I wasn't a big drinker to begin with, so going from having wine at home to no alcohol including nyquil and even vanilla extract is a pretty big change. Worth it though!

His story is insane to me, and I don't pretend to understand how he ended up the way he was. Over the past few months we have lived together and it is interesting how his addictive personality shows, he is very open to me though and I try to support him the best I can. He had a bit of phase where he was drinking bottles of dayquil after we both got sick. It didn't become too bad, but it did get to the point where one night he told me that he had been drink a few bottles every day. I was shocked because I had no idea, I knew he was taking it, but not that he was consuming it to that extent. Having him show me the empty bottles he hid under the bathroom sink was an eye-opener. We cleaned them out and stopped purchasing them. I told him he should probably go back to meetings and he did, again, all of this is very new to me.

Anyways, he is an amazing man and I love him to death. I just hope to come here in order to better understand. He goes through pretty bad depression phases. I do my best. He also is a bit older at the age of 31, so there are time when he feels like he is holding me back.

I am glad I found this site, I am pretty active on a few other forums and look forward to the resources here.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know there is a section here for family/friends dealing with addicts/alcoholics in their life.
I'm bringing my mother to an Al-anon meeting this week, while I go to my AA meeting in the same building. If he is going to AA meetings now, I'm guess they have an Al-anon group there too, most do, or they can direct you.

Wishing you all the best, thank you for sharing your story.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.