Here we go again! AH ignores letter from the judge

Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go again! AH ignores letter from the judge

I was so psyched! STBXAH left my country after a brief several days visit with the children. I had pneumonia so barely caught a glance of him. There were no incidents.Then, last Thursday my lawyer finally got around to emailing AH the judge's decision granting me an emergency separation with full custody and the apartment. And a monthly pension, saying AH must pay me a certain amount starting immediately. AH didn't seem to take notice.

I sent him an email mentioning that he should have received something from my lawyer with two scheduled court dates in April.

AH sends a reply saying the sum, which is 75% of the children's normal expenses, is 'unreasonable'. And since no mention from him of the amount due and I don't have the money to pay bills and rent.

Why did I so blithely go about my days believing he would be compliant?

It is just so unimaginable to me that the president of the court in this country would order him to immediately pay me a certain sum and he'd ignore it?!

He was out west doing his fun outdoor sports, posting photos of his travels on Facebook, my family members - idiots! - 'liking' his photos, while I am here recovering from pneumonia and unable to pay rent.

Cute 😡
Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh wow, Pippi, he has no end of insults up his sleeve! What a punitive rat, no make that weasel, of a man.

Have you found out how the Court can enforce this order? Or are there actual assets that you could be given instead so that you don't have to try to collect from him monthly? I'm sure you're keeping a diary of this? Try to do it all in writing so that you can prove his attitude.

Hope you pneumonia is better.

ShootingStar1
Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Shooting Star

They can't enforce it here because his salary comes from the States. Don't think he knows that as he doesn't appear to have orgaized himself enough to have a lawyer.

What they will do is look less kindly on him when he is summoned to court in April, which will give me a real edge regarding long term custody and a bigger pension.

Then I have to find a good lawyer in Massachusetts because there they can make him pay me, as I understand it.

He is a rat and a weasel. He has been telling people back in the States how he is trying to work things out with me but I am being impossible. When in fact I don't talk to him and keep email to the bare minimum. He's such a liar. And people believe him.

But that's partly why starting a new life over here is so delicious. Lots of people don't even know him. It's lovely to start afresh.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
My emotional baggage

Pippi,

If his salary is from here, can't you go through Child Support services for the U.S.? They are great and do all the work for you. I would look online and see if you can get contact infomation for the location where he earns his check.

Here in the states, if he owes you money, they take it right out of his check for you and mail it to you or direct deposit it into your account. I don't see why it would matter that you got the order while in another country. He still owes it to you and they will take the money retro to when the order happened. We have deadbeat laws here in the states, and if he does not pay he will lose his drivers license.....

4MyBoys
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My advice would be to say "good riddance" and be done with him. My AXH quit his job in order to avoid paying child support. You have to creates life where you do t have to depend on him to survive.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And my ex is living off of Veteran's Disability(can't be snagged for child support) to avoid paying.He's now living in his mom's basement, because he got evicted from the trailer he was renting. I planned my job and my expenses to be able to NOT have to rely on receiving support from him.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry for your frustration.
Any legal correspondence, set return correspondence dates.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I am going to give him this one last day to get his poor self together and send the $. He got back from his western fun and folic yesterday morning. Today he should be cleaned hp from the weekend so he can go to the bank and deal with his responsibilities.

Otherwise, tomorrow I call my lawyer, who will hopefully send an immediate response this time!

I still can't figure out why I keep thinking he will simply do what he is told and then all will be well. Maybe it's the same flawed mental process that had me thinking he would keep his drinking under control!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugh. Still no response from him.

This is so odd to me, because there is still money in our joint account. So I can still pay the bills with that. But he is ordered to pay the pension and he's done...nothing?!

I am going to admit here that I was feeling SO happy and lightweight when the lawyer sent the papers to AH!!! Showed me that baseline for me has been pretty much clenched teeth and working hard on standing straight. I am working out so much my body feels pretty powerful. But each day doesn't have to see me ready to face another big problem, does it?! I was letting go! I could pay more attention to the children when I thought he'd just start paying that pension and leave me in peace. I was relaxing a bit! Now I am neurotically checking my email every 15 minutes to see if he is going to respond to the order. I am back to checking his stupid 'look at me I am so cosmopolitan' bloody facebook page.

I am not going to do anything stupid. But I keep wondering, why can't he just send the bloomin pension to me? What is so different about that than me taking money out of our joint account?? Is it something about being ordered to? Does this bode very badly for the future?

Yes, I will eventually start working again. But with 4 children and the sole family member who takes care of them, me leaving for work all the time will leave them pretty stranded.

I know what you all maybe would say. Try to let go anyway? Stop stalking FB. One day at a time.

I do have to learn how to pray.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You are paying a lawyer. Let him or her do the worrying.

Eventually the order will be enforced--I'm quite sure there is a process for doing so. Meantime, you have enough money to live on, and worrying about what he does will not make anything happen faster or more smoothly.

Try to step AWAY from email and fb.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its sad but true that often people aren't scared by the Court system and as your husband lives here and not where you do - I would think he isn't really that moved by an order coming from your country - I mean really - what are they going to do to him? Extradite him? Perhaps it would get to the point that he would be in trouble if he came there and so he won't.

Recognition of your Order in this country regarding child support I think is a State decision and more than likely that you will have to file here in order to enforce payment. Perhaps you should look at a lump sum settlement as opposed to depending on him sending the $$ monthly sounds like anything he can do to trouble you he is going to do.

Divorces are seldom amicable even without alcohol involved - seems there is always a trifling member that would prefer to pay money to their attorney to drag things out than settle for a sum which would cost them less. Perhaps going forward with the expectation that he will not cooperate on any level will serve you better, and save you from being disappointed and frustrated.

Immaturity at its finest!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, active alcoholics usually don't consider obeying the law a priority.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is the key...

... being fully self supporting buys a lot of freedom.

Originally Posted by pixilation View Post
And my ex is living off of Veteran's Disability(can't be snagged for child support) to avoid paying.He's now living in his mom's basement, because he got evicted from the trailer he was renting. I planned my job and my expenses to be able to NOT have to rely on receiving support from him.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
I agree with that, but I still think that unless it exacts too great a cost in emotional energy and money, it is worth pursuing child support. The right of support belongs to the child, not to the parent. Most courts won't approve a settlement that does not provide for some amount of support for that very reason. I think kids deserve to have the economic support of both parents unless one is disabled or unable to find work in spite of efforts.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
Yes it does. And I can't say I haven't received ANY child support, I think X must have had some sort of income last year(maybe a few unemployment checks? not sure) because I did get a child support check for nearly $300 a few weeks ago, it was from a tax refund. I'm using it to buy my boys new bikes and summer shoes. But, he's still nearly 20K in arrears.

To the OP, I have just this to say, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Pippi, I've got some information for you on a referral to a possible lawyer. Could you PM me with a few more details and I'll send on the info

Thanks,

ShootingStar1