Notices

Well, I'm here...

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, I'm here...

Hi everyone,

I'm a 24 year-old university student in Edmonton, Canada, currently pursuing a degree in education, after completing a degree in science last Christmas.

I can honestly say I'm not an alcoholic, in that I'm not physically dependent, but I've been a bit of a chronic binge drinker (binge meaning usually an evening with 8-12 drinks alone in my bedroom, occasionally two consecutive evenings). I probably average two 26-oz bottles of spirits per week.

I know it's only moderate, but I also know it's far from healthy, and I want to address the issue before it gets any more serious than it is now. I've been trying to taper back, and after getting myself down to a couple "binges" a week, I've been sober since last Wednesday, so approaching 5 full days. It's the longest period I've been without a drink in probably a year.

Honestly, I feel great physically, but it's hard to ignore that little part of me that really wants to take a walk to the liquor store and pick up a mickey (a 375 mL container where I'm from). It's really surprised me just how serious the cravings can get, especially since I'm a science minded person, and I've only ever really considered alcohol to be "habit-forming", not necessarily addictive. But that's what it feels like!

I haven't broken down as of yet, and I'm sure I'll make it to tomorrow. And I'll tell myself the same thing then; I'm just kind of interested how much "better" I'll feel as sober days continue to tick by.

I am curious about one thing, if anyone in a major urban centre in Canada could fill me in as to their experience: I've been seeing a psychiatrist for depression since I was 10, and have been on Prozac (with great success) for that time. I don't have a regular GP, however I'm interested in the help that Campral (acamprosate) could potentially offer for helping me stave off my cravings during the first several weeks of being sober.

Has anyone asked their psychiatrist and/or GP? I've heard some people say that their doctors aren't familiar enough with it to prescribe it, but I don't know who else to ask (who won't compel me to go to "meetings")... I know the "support network" they offer helps many people, but I have supportive family and friends, and really don't want to go to them. I suppose partly as I've always felt they were targeted towards people who were at some point in their lives "hardcore", i.e. they needed a full-blown medically supervised detox. I've never had "the shakes", but I know that 30-40 "standard drinks" per week will do my health in sooner or later...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi There and Welcome to Sober Recovery.

You've come to a great place and will find loads of support from people that have been in your shoes.

Read the sticky posts at the top of the forums, along with posts of other people on the forum and keep posting!

I'm curious about why you think your alcohol intake is moderate? 8-10 drinks in any given night is really alot. Is it because you don't do this daily?

We aren't allowed to provide any medical advice here, but people can relay their own experience. It's not a substitute for input from healthcare professionals, though.

Glad you found the forum. Wiser heads than mine will be along shortly!

Peace,
Hanna
Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

You wrote my story....

I did end up at AA when I was 25 and just starting my teaching career. I wasn't like them.

Fast forward 25 more years and BAM!

I'm just like them.

Do yourself a favor and realize you are in the early stage of alcoholism.

Alcoholism is not being able to live in my own skin comfortably or that I am unable to live life without drinking.

Save yourself years of misery...which you won't see for another 20 some years....

I'm not saying you are an alcoholic, only you can determine that.

Stay stopped.

At the age of 50, I stopped drinking and smoking weed and I worked the 12 steps of AA. Those steps helped me to see things that all of my therapy sessions could never let me see....Amazing!

Deal with the cravings, get to AA and find someone to help you work those steps of recovery. No meds needed!!

Stay strong and stay stopped!!!

With love & hugs,
~SB who will be 52 in April and who will have 2 years of sobriety in May

ps binge drinkers will be added to the new edition of the DSM; 8-10 drinks in one night is equivalent of MORE than the weekly total suggested for one who drinks less than moderately, physical dependence is NOT necessary to be determined to have alcoholism; determining self to not yet be an alcoholic with all the info you've put on here, a little delusional, but that is okay for now.....alcoholism is a progressive dis-ease.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome certainlytrying

I'm not Canadian, but why not see someone and see what they suggest. for you and your individual case.

They may suggest Campral, they may suggest something else?

the only way to find out is to go

D
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess I say "moderate" because I can still stop for 5-6 days without feeling any ill effects, beside a desire to drink, haha. Also because it hasn't interfered with my social, academic, or work life yet. I can schedule my binges pretty effectively to leave myself time to do very well in school and meet all other deadlines and such.

I just wish I could rewind a year or so to the responsible drinking habits I had for the first 5 years I was legal. Never became a problem then. Right now, it's more expensive than anything else, but I'm sure health effects would start showing sooner or later.