Gratitude...

Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gratitude...

I am grateful to be here- to have the change to talk. To be heard and to have people around who can understand me.

I sit at my kitchen window as the sun goes down. Was a time I would grit my teeth at the thought of another day. I hear the tea-spoon tinkling in a cup behind me and remember my family saying that I would end up a lonely old man.

By finding courage amongst the members, the gals and guys of ACA I have gotten away from the old scripts. Slowly and gently, in my own time and in my own way.

The word I often use now is 'company'. I enjoy and appreciate the company I have on this journey.

Thanks so much...

DavidG.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

I'm in the middle of my Letter to Mom for therapy on Wednesday. Your post definitely reminds me of all those times she told me that nobody liked me, and it was no wonder my relationships never worked out. Well, she can kiss my happy butt because people DO like me, and I have a strong marriage and fabulous kids. SHE didn't like me, and my relatives didn't like me because I wanted to get off the merry-go-round. It's amazing when we can look around and see people we care about who CARE ABOUT US, and love us warts and all. Thanks for posting this!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She didn't like herself and that means she can't like anyone else. That's how I view it. I'm the incidental one, just caught in the cross-fire.

Yes there are people that do care about you, it's wonderful to have people celebrate you (me, us) instead of tolerate you (me us).
Old 03-04-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I started dating- getting around with girls my mum described them as 'lame ducks'. In a way she was right. The girl I married I met at mum's wedding [her second one]. Because she invited this woman along she can't have been a 'lame duck'.

And are are still married. Mum must have been right. After dad died 12 years ago the family said I would end up becoming 'a lonely old man'. I am far from that and I think another member of the family is the lonely one.

Being in self-help recovery I don't have to believe what others say about me.

-D.