Notices

New to sober recovery I need help

Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to sober recovery I need help

Hi I joined Sober recovery because I need help and advice for managing symptoms from Klonopin withdrawl. I took Klonopin for 3 years and had increased my dosage from .5mg up to 3 mg taken at night for sleep 1.5 years ago or June 2011 I went to detox and cold turkeyed off of Klonopin. When I came home I could not deal with my horrible symptoms. I had buring sensations in my face ,arms and throat and I had severe insomnia. I could not sleep for days. I looked for sleep aids and I found phenibut. So I started taking phenibut and I was able to sleep and all my symptoms from Klonopin withdrawl went away. Now 1.5 years later I have built up a tolerance to phenibut and it no longer works. It probably would if I were to take a much higher dose. I decided to quit taking the phenibut and now all of my symptoms from Klonopin withdrawl have returned. So to me it appears the phenibut was covering up my Klonopin withdrawl symptoms. So did my progress stop ? How can I manage my symptoms without taking anything? Is anything effective that will not set me back? Also I started getting Tinnitus when I first started withdrawing from Klonopin 1.5 years ago. But this stopped when I was taking the phenibut but now that I have stopped taking the phnibut the Tinnitus is back again. Anyone here have similar experiences or advice? I am going to see a Doctor soon who may be benzo wise. The Doctors I have seen have no experience regarding benzo withdrawl and dependence. The only medication that is helping has been Neurontin. Has anyone here gone through these horrible withdrawls and how did you make it
Modify message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rob - welcome to SR

Benzoes can be really tricky by all accounts.
Definitely seems like a good idea to see a Dr - glad you are.

D
Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I've never heard of Phenibut, though it does sound like it was masking your withdrawal symptoms. It's good that you have a plan to talk to your dr because he may be able to help you with your symptoms.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I have some Neurontin left and it helps with the symptoms
Old 03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think my symptoms are worse becuase I have anxiety and fear
Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wish you the best
Old 03-11-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try Melatonin and Valerian root to help you sleep.