Notices

As a women, best men's meeting I ever went to!!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As a women, best men's meeting I ever went to!!

When I first came to AA/NA this time I went to a lot of meetings but not much else . Didn't take suggestions.

Finally decided to try a new way and took suggestions and my life did improve dramatically .

I began to appreciate sobriety but still felt sorry for myself that I had to live with my folks .

Then one weekend we went to visit my son in Orlando. I had googled meetings in the area .

Well we drove to where it was supposed to be and no meeting .

So I called hotline . The guy on the line could have been anywhere in Orlando but he happened to be 5 min away .

He came and met us ( how cool is that) and took us to a men's meeting at the Homeless coalition in Orlando . I am a woman.

I knew in my heart that God was doing something special and I went into it fearless .

Well we drove through a very sad part of town .

Homeless folks everywhere . It broke my heart .

Then we got to the homeless coalition. There were over 300 men and women there walking around, sleeping on cots and sitting in a courtyard playing with their children .

It was the most peaceful setting I have ever been in my life .

I felt such love there amongst the people .

These people did not look at me like I did not belong . No one stared at me or asked me for anything .

Then I went into the men's meeting with all these men, I was the only woman amongst 50 men.

Not one man said it was a men's meeting nor did they say I was not welcome .
If my hubby ever walked into a womens meeting, I know the women would be saying "Excuse me this is a womans meeting"
'

But these men got it, they knew what it was like to really need a meeting and they were not gonna prevent me from seeking recovery.

They welcomed me with bright smiles and warm hugs .

It was beautiful . I listened to them share . They were so humble and grateful for what they did have , such as a cot and a blanket and some food .

I heard no sob stories.

They were at the bottom rung of life but they had found something priceless .

They found sobriety and fellowship in AA . They found God.

I was in awe of God showing me that even I could survive in a homeless shelter and I would be ok .

That there are more important things then boats, trucks and houses . These men had found themselves .

It was funny after the meeting I hung with the men outside the meeting and shared cigarettes but they didn't even ask for one .

I just offered . They were perfect gentleman . beautiful souls .
I went home with a totally new perspective .

I was and have been grateful ever since for my recovery and my little room
at my folks house and my little twin bed .

And my monthly food stamps . I have everything I need today I am sober .

God knew just what I needed when he brought me to that meeting.

He heard my prayer.

I love God and my life as simple as it is . That hole inside was never filled with all that other stuff anyways .

That spot was reserved for my God .

Thank You Lord
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

That was profoundly beautiful. Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
That was profoundly beautiful. Thanks
Thank you it was an experience that I will never ever forget.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

You're on food stamps and living with your parents (homeless as you don't have your own home), how do you afford cigarettes?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I found myself coming back to reread your post. I think you experienced a sense of spirituality that few get a chance see in such pure form.

It’s possible to feel like you have so little, yet see those with less not asking for anything, but instead offering something. That’s powerful! As you said “these men got it”. Actually, I think you did too.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
You're on food stamps and living with your parents (homeless as you don't have your own home), how do you afford cigarettes?

I gave up smoking 4 months ago the day I was baptized. And just got a full time job. When I do the next right thing, the next right thing seems to happen. Imagine that!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I found myself coming back to reread your post. I think you experienced a sense of spirituality that few get a chance see in such pure form.

It’s possible to feel like you have so little, yet see those with less not asking for anything, but instead offering something. That’s powerful! As you said “these men got it”. Actually, I think you did too.
Thanks awuh! I just hope i never forget it.