Notices

pregnant 8weeks xanax addiction

Old 03-02-2013, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post pregnant 8weeks xanax addiction

hi im new here, i just found out im pregnant, ive been prescribed xanax for 8 years now. Off & on for a few years out of the 8. I have an almost 3 year old, i was npt on xanax during tht pregnancy, some stressful events occured after my sons birth so they put me back on xanax 1mg 3x a day. (Looking nack now BIG MISTAKE :'( ...) My problem is i just tried to go off my xanax cold turkey. I relapsed after day two. I started having suicidal thoughts and just couldnt function right, no sleep, cant eat, shaking all w/d symptoms especially with me being pregnant EXCESSIVE CRYING to wear i was hyperventilating. I have a hubby who is my supporr system. He suggested after watching me have the manic episode i just take a xanax. I feel like a horrible mother. Almost as if maybe i shouldn't keep the growing child in me...we werent planning on another child & im so comfused right now. I was also prescribed pain pills which im also addicted too, norco. I hav weaned down the norco. And now trying to attempt to taper down my xanax, i read going cold turkey is not the route to go. Ive been doing alot of research, just kinda lost at what i should do. Im about 7 weeks pregnant. Not for sure. Haven't went to my ob yet.....
Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I strongly suggest, for the well being of your baby and yourself, you speak to your dr before going any further. Be completely honest about all aspects of your situation and all your previous history and allow your dr to guide you in the best manner of addressing this.

It's great that you are addressing this and it will benefit your entire family I am sure, but getting the advice and support you need is the best gift you can give all of you, so you can make the safest and best transition into living clean.

Congratulations on your baby and your soon to be freedom from addiction!

Stick around here and share your recovery and experience with us.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hugs
Welcome to SR.
We are here for you n won't judge you.
It's very responsibilitle that you are trying to give them up now you've found out you're pregnant. I remember being 7 weeks pregnant n feeling really scared so can't imagine what you're going through.
I think tapering would be best due to pregnancy but you must contact a medical professional to discuss how best you can do this. We are unable to give you medical advice but we can support you.
I would suggest you post on 'substance abuse forum so you can get replies from like-minded people. Well done on tapering off the painkillers, you should be proud of yourself n very pleased that you're husband is being supportive of what you're going through.

Evey x
Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thankyou both for the support. I posted this twice, im new not to familiar witg this site. But found myself on it during my 3 days of going off xanax...i want to go to my doctors. But where i reside, they always like to involve social services. Im scared me admiting i seriously need help with result in them taking my almost 3 yr old. Im so emotional ...im so scared. Thos was an unplanned pregnancy, & i feel i cant even afford another child at this time. I understand you guys cant give me advice. But soon i will b going off the xanax as need too...and will probably need tgis site for the Great suppprt i found everyone has gotten here!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please see your doc and or midwife. They will be glad you are being responsible and asking for help. There would be no reason for your doc to tell social services anyway if he is prescribing it to you. Please don't avoid your doc for that reason. You need proper medical advice and help
Old 03-02-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Call your doctor, the one who prescribed the meds and talk with them about tapering since you are pregnant.

I wish you well,
~SB
Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I called when i fpund out. They told me to taper. I feel i did it to quick. I went from 3 mg a day to .5 the next to. 25 then after that nothing, 48 hours exactly had a manic episode. And thts when i broke down & took a .5 ...
Old 03-02-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Call them back and ask them what they mean by taper. Usually it's a lot longer than a week.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To add on to this..ive had anxiety problems since i was like 9 yrs old. I used to sweat thru my clothes if i started panicking in school or just around new ppl. At age 18 i was prescribed this. I was pff it when ibwas pregnant witg my 1st simply cuz i had no heatlh insurance. Then rigjt after he was born they put ne back on it...
Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please go to your dr in person and talk to him.

Get a proper program to get off the drugs. You owe this to your unborn child and I know you would feel good to be taking the best care of yourself and your baby.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Please see your dr. I had to take my daughter to the ER when she stopped cold turkey. I honestly don't think that it will have any effect on you keeping your 3 year old, since you are prescribed it.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jkb

I would most definitely contact the prescribing doctor in regards to this. I dont see how you could get in any trouble for taking xanax as prescribed. I had to taper off over a much longer period than a few weeks. Be safe.