Notices

After one drink can not quit

Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After one drink can not quit

My son when he starts drinking he can not quit. He is binge drinker. What we can do to help him? Please let me know.thanksthanks
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Does your son want to stop drinking? I hope so, and that he will seek support to do so.

You might want to check out AlAnon as a support for yourself. And, there is a Forum on this message board for Friends & Families of Alcoholics, where you could find support as well.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi and Welcome,

Does your son want to stop drinking? I hope so, and that he will seek support to do so.

You might want to check out AlAnon as a support for yourself. And, there is a Forum on this message board for Friends & Families of Alcoholics, where you could find support as well.

Maybe an intervention, has he had serious consequenses to his drinking. Maybe talk to him after a night of real hard drinking when he is vulnerable and feeling kinda down. He may be more receptive. I'll pray for you! I'm sure my family felt the way you are feeling right now, helpless. I am the alkie, sober today.Thank God
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Cindy

I'm sorry for your situation...like Anna said, your son needs to want to stop.

From my experience and my belief, it needs to be an internal motivation, not an external one.

There are things you can do for you and your family tho - Al Anon is one, and our Family and Friends forums can be useful too.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I'm glad you've found us
D
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Cindy! You've found a great place. There'll be plenty of help and support here, from people who understand what you're going through with your son. I'm glad you joined the family.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am thankful to everyone who share my sadness. Deeker I talked with him after his hard drinking. He always explain mom I do not want to drink at all. My life was very happy without drinking. I do not know what thing click in my mind and without thinking I always end up in liquor store. He is highly qualified but now could not handle his job. Sometime I think may be he is depressed. Now he does not have any girl friend and social life. He quite drinking and did not drink for 6, 7 months. When starts then he can not quite. He is accepted in medicine. He is saying mom if I do not drink no one can challenge me for anything. He is hardworking. He can study 14 hours a day. Score good marks. Drinking ruining his life. I do not understand he knows drinking ruining his life then why he drinks. I went alanon yet my mind is not stable. When I go there people laugh and jokes. My inside is so broken I can not bear anything. I used to proud of him. Always stand first in class so good manner and polite person going through so big battle. Even his drinking he always say mom I am sorry. These things getting me. He is binge drinker and functionless. If I kick him out he will not survive. Please anyone give me advise for this too if I should kick him out so he learns his lesson. Any kind of help is appreciated. Thanks to bear with me.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Cindy:
I strongly suggest you return to A-Anon and talk to the folks there. Your son's drinking/life is making you crazy. Tell the Al-Anon girls how you feel.

I am near Windsor and know that there is lots of good AA in London. He can go to the meetings and get help... if he wants to. AA Alcoholics Anonymous London Ontario Area Meetings

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2granddaughters Thanks for reply. I will when I will be ready.