Notices

Where to turn.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Where to turn.

Finally managed to see my Dr yesterday and pretty much got the kick up the backside I needed.
I am confused thought. Given a couple of prerscriptions 1 for Diazapam and 1 for Thiamine. Then told don't give up and go cold turkey that would be bad cut down slowly until I cam see you in 10 days. By then I hope to get you some help.
Jeez how do you cut down?
I drink about a bottle of wine and then shots a night. I've cut the shots out and cut to half a bottle with the aim of getting down to 1 glass of wine a night by the time I see the Dr again.
Is this ok? What are your experiences?
My Gp has said I'm a functioning alcoholic but I'm on the edge of losing everything if I continue....the kick up the backside I needed.
Any advice would be fantastic.
thanks..
Old 02-28-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
now's the time

If your doctor's advising you not to go cold turkey, he probably has a reason. Cutting down to two, then one glass of wine per night sounds pretty reasonable to me. Really hard... I cannot moderate at all... but at least it's only ten days. Maybe only buy two beers, or a half-bottle of wine, at a time, then get in your pajamas before drinking it to discourage you from going out and getting more?

If at any point you start feeling any intense withdrawal symptoms (like bad shakes, hallucinations, nausea/vomiting, etc) then call your doctor right away.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree cutting down is much harder than going cold turkey. Did you ask your dr why he suggested that? Anyways, good news that you are moving forward with your recovery.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All alcohol services in the UK advise cutting down. It's cheaper than putting everyone in detox. I tried cutting down myself but I wasn't that great at it and not very consistent. I would recommend finding yourself some help now rather than just waiting for your doc to refer you somewhere, It seems odd that he hasn't already. If there is an alcohol an drug addiction service in your area then there is a good chance you will be able to self refer. They often have doctors as well so it would be a good place to get additional advice on detox. If you phone drinkline (0800 917 8282) they should be able to point you in the right direction. In the mean time you could also go to an AA meeting, it might help occupy your time while your cutting down, or just spend more time here. It's tough but I am sure you can do this x

Edit: Is this near you? Alcohol Help: Winchester: Spencer House Community Alcohol Advisory Service