alcoholic daughter with grandchildren

Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcoholic daughter with grandchildren

My alcoholic (and possibly drug user) daughter and her two children live with me. She told me in December she had a drinking problem and was going to quit. She has not been successful and there is indication she is also taking vicodin. I am at a loss. She goes to work, but by the time she gets home I can tell she has been using something. By early evening she is out of it. I would like to tell her to move out, but I worry about the safety of the kids (3 and 9). Her doctor has prescribed Ambien for her, so she is really not capable of being there for the kids. I am drowning, but feel trapped Any advice?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have an AD. Thank God she does not have kids.

I think your first step is to find an Al-Anon support group. Everyone will tell you that, and they really really really do help. It helps you cope with her decisions as well as the decisions you will need to make for your own sanity, safety and peace.

It sounds like she really needs to go to some type of rehab/therapy. If she continues on this route, she is at risk of losing her children.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

She is probably not at risk for losing her children as long as I insure they are safe and cared for. I really don't have any choice. I am seeing a therapist who keeps telling me to take care of myself. I am trying. But it's easy to know that but hard to feel it. I would like to separate myself from the madness, but for the sake of the kids I don't feel like I can. I have asked her to move and leave them here, but she won't do it.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

((Jcampion))

Welcome to our SR family ~
First let me say how much I hate to hear about your daughter - I too have adult children that suffer from this disease and my grandchildren are deeply affected by their parent's choices no matter how much we try to protect them.

Second - I believe by taking care of you in what little ways you can, you will show your grandchildren some healthy responsible recovery behaviors - something they will need to learn to deal with how they are affected by their mom's disease

I have gotten great support here and thru Al-Anon ~ please keep reaching out for help -
for me, the more I learned about the disease and recovery - the more I discovered what choices I had to keep my home healthy, safe and drama free.

pink hugs