Notices

Anyone with a lot of time behind them got some insight

Old 02-28-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone with a lot of time behind them got some insight

It's been 6 months and 6 days since I have touched any alcohol. During this time, my entire outlook on life and people has changed pretty drastically. I can be very critical of myself and my actions, which leads me to over-analyze everything. I haven't thought much of it until recently nor did I find a problem with it. When it comes to relationships with family and friends though I think its becoming a problem. Perhaps I'm putting too much pressure on myself and expecting changes in everyone around me, progress with me type of feelings. Maybe it's just hard for me to relate to people who aren't trying with their life. I do try to relate, but being honest I find myself just not caring sometimes.

So my questions would be. Am I alone on feeling like this? Are these feelings normal early on and if so when did it get better for you? Ideas on how to address this.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bgh2002 View Post
Maybe it's just hard for me to relate to people who aren't trying with their life.
I definitely had this, and to be honest sometimes it made me feel a little bitter, especially towards family members who were apparently critical towards me whilst displaying the exact sort of behaviour I was trying to eradicate in myself, if that makes any sense?

I think the thing is though that most people don't need to try. They can just keep on going as they are without making any improvements because their faults aren't trying to kill them. Even though some members of my family drank a lot and had very typical alcoholic behaviour, none of them ever drank as much as me and therefore never felt that urgent need to stop and make changes in their life.

But to be honest I am pretty grateful for that. I imagine it akin to being where I was 10 years ago, a big drinker but with none of the consequences yet and living a fairly dismal shut in life. It might have taken me a while to get where I am now but I am glad I have the opportunity to make my life better. Once I realised that I became less bitter towards other people who weren't trying hard and started to feel sorry for them because they never had the incentive to change.