Notices

Alternatives To Liquor

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternatives To Liquor

Hello - I'm am new to this board and seeking the support and advice of those who may have already been down this path.

My brief story: I've been someone who enjoys alcohol.

Wine has mainly been my drink of choice. I have never been a daily drinker, more so once or twice a week (mainly weekends) Nor do I crave it. On about one or two of those nights a month - it would end in a binge of 7-8 drinks. I'm well aware this is not good for me. My problem has always been not knowing where that tipping point was or when to say stop. Sometimes I can call it great - others, it slips past me and I have no idea. Because of this I've landed my self with plenty of regrets over the years because of things I've said to others or actions I took. Never violent or anything of that nature, just poor or sloppy decisions.

I tend to be an anxious person, and have always enjoyed and found that drinking on the weekends helped me relax and de-stress. However, if I went over that tipping point, it became a new source of stress or anxiety over what I said or did when I was "relaxing".

I'm ready to call it quits and look at alcohol for what it is - something that doesn't mix well with me. I'm very successful and in control of most parts of my life, however -this is an area that I've come to accept is beyond my normal control. There's not room for "moderation", as I tend to take it further than that.

I grew up with alcohol being a positive thing. Never saw the negative sides of it, but saw it used often by friends and family at the end of a week during "happy hour" or at family gatherings where everyone seemed jolly and in a good place. There was always almost a "romanticism" about it. So my association with it has never been one of negativity, until I saw the poor choices I made after using it.

My wife on the other hand had a very different upbringing and saw the negatives left and right with an alcoholic father who at times could be abusive. She doesn't drink. Because of this our outlooks are very different on the subject.

She's asked me to stop the one or two nights a week that I've been drinking, and I'm ready to make it happen.

Since it has been a source of relaxation at the end of a stressful week - I'm wondering what I can do to help me decompress and move beyond this routine that I've had for years. I'm not interested in jumping on the prescription med train. As I do just fine through most of the week with-out alcohol.

Are there any other things out there to sip on that don't involve drugs or alcohol yet still be pleasing and relaxing? Types of teas? Etc...

I've thought about drinking non-alcoholic beers, and have tried some I do enjoy, but am concerned that its just another reminder of "something I can't have", and may want to just avoid that all together. Not sure though.

I'm ready to move past the part of my life where I used alcohol to relax and enjoy my friends and family in a sober state of mind. There just feels like there will be a "hump" in the line of "normal" for a while, since it has been something that was a big part of my life for so long. Advice on moving past this "odd" feeling of "something is missing" would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!

Originally Posted by seekingadvice96 View Post
Are there any other things out there to sip on that don't involve drugs or alcohol yet still be pleasing and relaxing? Types of teas? Etc...

I've thought about drinking non-alcoholic beers, and have tried some I do enjoy, but am concerned that its just another reminder of "something I can't have", and may want to just avoid that all together. Not sure though.
I have recently switched to some teas. There is a tea thread in the Cafe Central forum. It had some good recommendations.

Near beer gives me a headache, so I am no help there. Literally, it was like drinking a hangover and skipping the buzz.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you suffer with anxious then talk to your doctor about this and he/she may give you something to help you level your brain. Just like with everything in life you have to moderate what you do and eat. If you can't do that then take it out of your life. It applies to alcohol and any other drug and non drug in your life. You just can't do it when food which you need to live on it.

An Alternative to liquor almost be anything. Coke (drink), tea, milk, water or coffee. Exercising is good for the body and will help with anxious and will give you activity time to pass the time. Life will go on without alcohol, it's just need to learn how to do with it.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My DOC was beer, and that's all I drank ( and plenty of it! ). I find that ginger ale or root beer/ginger beer is a good replacment when I want something fizzy to drink with a meal/snack. Some of the craft style ones are really good actually.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a loose leaf tea brewer and found that coming home to the process of it in addition to the fact that teas are way more healthy for me, very cathartic and "rewarding." I do decaf because caffeine worsens my anxiety. But I like white teas, green teas, blended with dried fruits. In the summer I make them iced. I also like sparkling fruit juices. Look around the healthy/natural/organic aisle at your supermarket. I made my sobriety more about an overall health thing and treating myself and my body felt really rewarding especially in the beginning. Of course I have I've cream every night also so I'm not perfect. Haha.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
There is a tea thread in the Cafe Central forum.
There is?!?! This is the best news I've gotten all day!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise really helps me unwind and it also helps to improve sleep.

My drink alternatives have become iced tea, diet coke and lots of flavored water. I try to go easy on the caffeine so it's mostly water.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol made me so anxious I had to take medicine for anxiety. Remove the alcohol and no more anxiety. So my advice is not drinking is way more relaxing than any alcohol could ever be. For me alcohol was my problem and sobriety was my answer.