Notices

Stresssssss

Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stresssssss

Hi, all, I need to get some feelings out. For the past few days I've been under an enormous amount of stress. Stress was also my trigger. This whole disastrous drinking thing got started when I discovered that alcohol too the stress away and let me function like a normal person. Woah! Obviously this was wrong and led me down a terrible path.

But now I'm facing some major stress again, like the kind that never lets up, and you can feel it burning in your heart, and your throat is dry, and you feel nauseated all the time. It's been going on for three days. My mind tells me I can get a short reprieve if I take one shot. Just a little relief seems like A LOT right now. But things are different this time. I know that a lot of the stress I'm feeling now is because of my drinking and won't cure it.

I don't really know what my question is, other than how the heck do you deal with this stress all the time? I know it won't last forever and my mind is making my problems so much bigger than they are in real life, but that only helps just a little bit. Any advice?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i know, sucks. the stress does let up.

i also know, your right so a shot may help, but then what?
i have an addiction. the closer i've been to those shots, the harder i struggle with my addiction, for me. & those drinks relieved my stress, but gave me more later.

not caring about things has been helpful, but very hurtful to me.

advice? hmm. i know that sleeping is very helpful for me. so is lots of walking or exercise, music, movies, writing, talking about it,
but maybe you're saying something good here
stress is not what you want and you are aware of it
so maybe when we recognize stress, we can choose something else
i know it's not always that simple
but the mind can cancel a negative thought with a positive one
same goes for actions
sorry for rambling away, i'm sure other members know much better than i
breathing helps me too, i always forget to give enough attention to my breath
yes, i need help too
thanks
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Letgo. Really appreciate the response. I'm really trying to recognize the stress for what it is and turn it around but right now it's just not working. I guess the only good thing I'm getting out of it right now is knowing that I can get through it without a drink and hopefully if I make it through this time I'll be even surer that I can make it through next time.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah, but rather than 'turn it around', why not choose something completely different?

i have a similar situation. i don't feel that i deserve to be happy or unstressed right now. i feel i deserve this unhappiness and stress, but if it's causing this amount of problems.
if it's unproductive stress.
maybe i need to dance around and sing or whatever because it is true, you can cancel out the negative with the positive.
try it, it works fast too.
it's not a matter of me deserving it at this point
it's a matter of survival
& feeling good is going to help this time
i chose the name let go because i need this reminder
let it go
choose healthy & positive thoughts, etc
again, i'm sure what i said here is not the best, but it's helpful
i support you felling better
Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's probably some good advice. I just need to get past this part of me that feels like I don't deserve to be happy ever again. It's not always there, a few posts ago I was so excited about be sober for the rest of my life but now I feel like my world is falling apart. Ugh. Feelings! I hate them. Thanks for your comment. I will try to think positively. Just so disgusted right now.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Feelings don't define us, they simply define and frame our experiences. We are more then our feelings. We endure, while feelings pass on to ever more feelings. When we start re-living certain hurtful feelings, we then have resentments.

I too have often felt hateful towards my feelings, and as I matured in my sober journey, I came to understand I judged myself too harshly. It was a struggle to like myself, perhaps my most difficult struggle, but I let things go that I couldn't manage, and I worked out my resentments, and I discovered myself to be a likeable guy after all.

I'm sure you'll soon discover your personal awesomeness too!!

Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I take all those feelings, thoughts and emotions to an AA meeting and drop them off at the table.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Feelings don't define us, they simply define and frame our experiences. We are more then our feelings. We endure, while feelings pass on to ever more feelings. When we start re-living certain hurtful feelings, we then have resentments.

I too have often felt hateful towards my feelings, and as I matured in my sober journey, I came to understand I judged myself too harshly. It was a struggle to like myself, perhaps my most difficult struggle, but I let things go that I couldn't manage, and I worked out my resentments, and I discovered myself to be a likeable guy after all.

I'm sure you'll soon discover your personal awesomeness too!!

This is such a great post Robby,thankyou.

Amelia, since I got sober I've been reading about feelings and how to let go of anxiety,negative thoughts and be more positive. One of the greatest things I've read is how to "learn to control my feelings, not let them control me" sounds a bit cliche but it does work with practice . I'd recommend a book "Think right,feel right" by Isett which has helped me immensely