Notices

Detox and broke

Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox and broke

Hello all I am an alchoholic. I am 30 now and have been drinking since 15. I started binge drinking threw out my teens. Once I hit twenty one and could buy my own well it's been a fight. I have learned not to touch wine our liqueur but the beer is so tough for me to beat. I usually can go through a 12 pack no problem not much buzz. The more past twelve I get stomach pains and withdrawals. I know it's time to stop its just so embarrassing to go to the doctor. I have been once asked for some drug to make alcohol not work. Forgot the name of it , but the doctor gave me Librium. It worked untill the prescription was up then the routine started again. I know about alchohol annonomous planning been there twice but Basically all I want to know is there anyway I can get some medical help For safe detox without admitting my alcoholism to some stupid receptionist /nurse and then going to my doctor without costing a ton of money I am broke.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Unique

I think it would be pretty hard to get detox help without mentioning your drinking problem.

The Salvation Army runs free rehab problems in many parts of the US - you could contact them?

D
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Unique

Y'know your doctor has heard it all before. And people have to discuss much more embarrassing problems with their doctor than alcoholism. I know it's hard but there really isn't anything to be ashamed off. If you have been to AA before maybe it'd be a good idea to ask people there what is available in your local area x
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I found a free, county-supported detox program for myself.

If you really don't know how to find a program, call a crisis line. These folks would much rather deal with a person seeking help than a person in trouble.

There is no reason to be afraid of receptionists. In my experience, people who work in recovery often have been there themselves.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A boil on your butt is embarrassing, but having a drinking problem is nothing to be of ashamed of admitting to a doctor or the receptionist.

That's amazing that you can drink that much and barely get a buzz. Doesn't sound like fun. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for the replys I will check the salvation army and the crisis help line. I have a long line of alcoholism in my family. I denied how much I drank to my doctor last time. I told him 6-8 beers a night of beer. But the truth was about 6-12+.six when I was being good. I grew up with an alchoholic father a whino. Not much buzz with beer but I get drunk with wine and hard liquer. I am strong enough to stay away from the wine and liquer but the beer is almost impossible to quit.