Notices

just broke up with my girl, feeling like drinking

Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just broke up with my girl, feeling like drinking

i just broke up with my girlfriend, feeling pretty low right now and shaky and depressed and everything in me wants a bottle whiskey. but i don't want to drink. i'm going on 13 days sober and have been feeling great right up until now. how do i power through?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi thelonghaul

Breakups are never easy but you get through it like the rest of us do, hour by hour, minute by minute if you have to.

I always found it best to keep busy - others might like to good off a little, eat some comfort food and watch some movies.

Just don't drink - there's no situation so bad a drink can't make it worse.

D
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just get through the next 24 hours. You will feel better about your self for getting through this sober. Because trust me, drinking to forget or mask the pain & confusion you are feeling will only be intensed by drinking. The same heartbreak will be there when the alcohol wears off, & will be piled with guilt/hurt for letting your self relapse.

Stay Strong, Stay Sober, Ask your Higher Power for help with this.
Prayers!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the breakup TLH.
13 days is a huge accomplishment. Think this through before you drink. If you do, you will most certainly be more depressed and less able to handle the stress of the situation. Drinking certainly will not make anything better. You deserve to be sober. It really is the only way we can work to make our lives into happy ones. Keep yourself very busy for a while, distraction is key.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Keep your belly full with a favorite non-alcoholic drink or just good ole water. I read a lot. The Big Book is always good. Look, i never thought i'd turn into "one of those AAers" or a "Big Book Thumper" but i'm turning to what seems to have worked for a heck of a lot of people.

If you are more of an audiophile, check out the AA speaker tapes (google search it) and look for Clancy I. Seriously. He's a smart sonofab*tch with a great story and is just fun to listen to you. Give it an hour of your time and i'm pretty sure you'll feel differently by the end of the hour. Not sure how you'll feel but you'll feel different and probably for the good. And i bet you'll have had a laugh or two.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

If you have a smartphone, downoad BeyondPod and look up AA speaker tapes.

I also recommend Joshua H. as a speaker. His story is really good but really made me laugh. I find that when i laugh, i am vulnerable and the message and the healing gets to squrim in. Sneaky.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am going through a breakup also, I have managed to stay sober the past month since the breakup even though at times it has been very difficult. You have to realise that drinking will NOT make anything better, it will only make you feel worse, you have to feel the pain to be able to eventually move on, the process will be quicker if you feel everything without masking the pain with alcohol and making things worse, alcohol is a depressant and might numb you out for an hour or so until you turn into a mess!
stay strong, you can do this, you will feel so much better in the long run if you don't drink. it's ****** now, I know all too well the feeling, but it will pass - for both of us and we WILL be ok again
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
now's the time

That's rough timing.

It sucks that it's so early in the process, but I think one of the big tasks of recovery is learning how to deal with life without trying to drown it in alcohol. This is a particularly big emotional situation to deal with... but by going through it sober, you'll learn so much about how to handle future problems without a crutch.

I went through my last major break up by drinking a ton and then leaving the country. And it's true... those things numbed the pain for me, but it also kept me from really working through it. It took me forever to get over it because I kept putting it off. There's definitely something to be said for just facing it now instead of trying to delay, because you will have to cope with it sometime.