Notices

Looking for all sorts of advice

Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dirtyhippiegirl

Question Looking for all sorts of advice

Just looking for some good advice from those who have been walking the path a bit longer than I have...Been sober for about a month now......Can some of you share what has worked for you thus far?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, I'm about 70 days alcohol free now and the main things that help me are to constantly remind myself and embrace the benefits of not drinking - saving money, never hungover, less mood swings, no chance of being arrested or worse, etc...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome...acceptance of the disease, willingness to work through the steps, and giving of yourself by helping other members, and caring the message to those still suffering. I don't care if you have a day or a thousand....one drunk helping another is a guarantee to stay sober.

Hang in there...you are doing well...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Our Class of February is a good place to start DHG

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-3.html

D
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome DHG,
The main things that helped me were,
Joining this site and becoming an active poster on the May thread. I guess you would be joining the February thread.
Distraction helped me get through tough times; exercise, call someone, eat a pizza, watch a movie.
I did some research on the different programs and added tools that made sense. You may want to check out AA, SMART, AVRT and others. I found AVRT worked for me but I know many that found other programs more helpful.
I wish you well.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

staying in daily contact with other people in recovery via SR has been a HUGE help.

making time daily to work on recovery, read literature, journal, etc etc. something every day to keep me in the game and growing as a person.

Enjoying and taking advantage of the opportunities sobriety brings me.

applying what others share with me to my own life, as well as what I discover about myself in this process

honesty, open mindedness and willingness. Whether a person does 12 step or not, those 3 things really help in recovery.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a great place to ask the question, DHG. Lots of friendly, genuinely helpful people will encourage you here at SR. I'm just getting started with sobriety (~2 months) and it simply gets better everyday. For me, when an urge to drink comes on it's important to think through how "just one drink" will inevitably end....drunk/hungover/defeated. "Ugh, no thanks" is always the reaction. This is a tactic I learned on SR and then saw it mentioned again in FinallyFinished's thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sober-me.html