Notices

Got through an urge/Watched "Flight"

Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got through an urge/Watched "Flight"

I am housesitting tonight and tomorrow night. I went into the refrigerator around 5pm and saw a whole drawer filled with the type of beers that I particularly used to enjoy. Previous to this I had just watched an episode of the Kardashians where Kim and Chloe were drinking and having fun. This stuff still presses my buttons. I contemplated having one of those beers. Then I plugged in on here and put my mind back into the right place. I wish I didn't get into those modes where it feels like something else is starting to take me over, trying to block out my rational mind. I still have a lot of work to do.

I rented "Flight" and could relate to many of the scenes...waking up in hotel rooms with coke and empty beer bottles everywhere. I could almost feel how Denzel's character felt waking up, smoking that cigarette, hitting that line to get up and about his business. It really hit home with me. Well I never want to be there again, or feel that way again. I really enjoyed the movie, and it set me back into the right frame of mind. Which also got me thinking I should really filter what I let into this head of mine more often! Mindless reality shows are not good for me at all. I digress...
Old 02-27-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to be a little mindful of the kind of shows I watched for a while too.
Glad you got through it Janie - stay strong

D
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

******major spoiler alert below (don't say I didn't warn you!)*****

I thought it was a well-made, entertaining film. I was kind of annoyed by the fact that somehow this hotel room just 'happened' to have the door to the adjacent room unlocked. I mean, his guardians had the foresight to make sure the mini-fridge was non-alcoholic, but they didn't even notice that the door was open???? And I've stayed in dozens upon dozens of hotel rooms and not even once was once of those doors unlocked, so the fact that it would just happen to be at the worst imaginable time is kind of ridiculous - what they call a deus ex machina. Okay, I'll step off my aspiring screenwriter soapbox now...
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally agree!! And some mysterious wind was making it knock on his door? Lol, I had to play it off to underlying themes, really- that the others were keeping him from drinking, not he himself, and left untreated he did what an alcoholic would do. Ahh but couldn't he have waited just a little while longer?!

I thought it was really good, also. I liked it more than Argo, which got best movie this year.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, the magic wind. I forgot about that :rotfxko. It was kind of silly, but I guess it served the purpose of forwarding the plot to get to the climax they wanted. I enjoyed it more than Argo, which I liked but thought was pretty overrated. My favorite movie last year was Silver Linings Playbook, which though not about alcohol addiction, was somewhat related due to the themes of mental illness and just overall trying to improve your life. I'd recommend seeing that if you haven't already..
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did see SLP, reallyy liked it. My favorite though: Life of Pi. I read the book so I'm a bit biased but its such a beautiful story and the cinematography is outstanding.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I still need to see that one.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I watched flight too. Think it was few weeks ago when I was still drinking and it was powerful. I guess the theme was the lying. If your using like that, yes you can do your job, yes you might even do it better than everyone else, but at the end of the day your living a lie and that's what he decided to give up. Denzel sublime x
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I saw Flight too. I thought it was well made just hated the end. Very un realistic for a character to... Dint want to give it away for the people who haven't seen it.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Act10n I could not disagree more lol. I thought the ending was very realistic. That jump from self-delusion to integrity, so necessary for lasting sobriety, was the whole point of the film.