Notices

Thanks for being here

Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks for being here

Hi all,found this site yesterday,man your stories are mirror images of my life.I have been drinking daily for 35 years,slapping myself on the back if I laid off for 1 day,didn't happen very often.The old story,wake up every morning telling myself I wasn't going to drink today,go to work,come mid afternoon my inner voice telling me I 've got to reward myself by having a drink,ha,who am I kidding,a couple of bottles of wine more like it.Been doing this for decades,every night totally disconnected from my young family,standing in the kitchen smoking cigs and drinking,staggering off to bed when the booze ran out.It finally came to a head 2 nights ago on the 1st anniversary of my mums passing,needless to say things turned bad,my wife and kids took off in the car,they came back and the arguing carried on,my 3 kids were in tears,I woke up on the couch at 3am feeling like s@$##T,I went and woke my wife up and asked her to come through to the lounge and I burst into tears.She told me she couldn't cope much longer,22 years was more than enough.I said I was sorry and needed help,I really dont know myself sober,and I'm scared.Yesterday I texted my boss and explained my illness and yesterday I went to my first AA meeting.I'm going again tonight,I've just got to take one day at a time,but knowing there are others in the same boat helps alot.I dont want to loose my family they love me and they deserve better.Thanks for being here.2 Days Sober.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Marksman

D
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You've come to the right place, friend.

Do lots of reading around the forums. Learn about the different approaches to finding sobriety. We're kinda the same, but we're also all kinda different. Find the one that works for you.

Best of Luck!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Marksman,
So glad you joined us. Congratulations on making the decision to quit and taking positive steps toward recovery. This site is a life saver.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Welcome to SR, marksman. We really do put others through quite a bit. Seems like things can only get worse if you continue to drink. I hope you will find enough courage to stay stopped. It definitely isn't easy. I was searching for some type of meaning in the bottle. I was scared to death of everything, especially being sober, as you are. I really didn't know who I was. I had gotten so numbed throughout the years that I failed to grow emotionally and more importantly, spiritually, as a person. It is taking quite a bit of time to begin to know myself.

NOT drinking isn't something we do easily. It takes some getting used to. Don't leave before the miracle happens.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Please don't hesitate to see a doctor. Alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous. You've made the smart move to quit so make another smart move and get checked out. Welcome to SR.
-Ted
Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome marksman! This is a great place. You will find support here! Just take it one day at a time!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One day at a time, Marksman! I've experienced very similar family turmoil due to my drinking. I know the misery intimately. But I'm turning it around and making a better life sober, using SR and AA. I know you can do it too. Be strong and stay positive!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We all may have taken different roads to get where we are at. but towards the end we all ended up on a path that we were looking for a different/better way to live. And no long be dependent on alcohol or drugs.

So glad you found this site. I find great information & people here.
Keep posting!
Peace
~jules