Notices

New to the site, Coping Help

Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site, Coping Help

Hey everyone, I'm 27 and have battled alcohol for 4 years now. About three and a half years ago I went into a 30 day rehab program and stayed sober for around 7 months but that's history.

I've floated around here for about three weeks now but didn't register until now.

I'm working on a plan to get sober again and it's something I've wanted to do since I picked it back up. The biggest issue for me is worrying about what it will be like to do certain things without alcohol, it's the same issue I had three years ago but I'd like some ideas on how to deal with it. Thanks for reading!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome flyingsober!

You've come to the right place! I wondered the same thing myself and put off getting sober for a long time because of it. Just the idea of getting sober was quite scary.

I spent a LOT of time here at first, learning what others did and just soaking up the positive posts about sobriety. I also discovered that taking it a day at a time (better yet: staying in the moment) was really helpful, instead of worrying about whether I could stay sober forever (or what would I do for the holidays, or the next wedding, etc.)..... getting out in the future can make it feel way too overwhelming.

Glad you're here!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi flyingsober
You'll find a lot of ideas and a lot of support here

Check out our Class of February thread for everyone quitting this month!

D
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flyingsober View Post
Hey everyone, I'm 27 and have battled alcohol for 4 years now. About three and a half years ago I went into a 30 day rehab program and stayed sober for around 7 months but that's history.

I've floated around here for about three weeks now but didn't register until now.

I'm working on a plan to get sober again and it's something I've wanted to do since I picked it back up. The biggest issue for me is worrying about what it will be like to do certain things without alcohol, it's the same issue I had three years ago but I'd like some ideas on how to deal with it. Thanks for reading!
Did your 30 day rehab suggest you attend AA meetings when you were released?

That's the only thing that has worked for me when I got out of rehab in 1989.

All the best.

Bob R (near Windsor)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flyingsober View Post
The biggest issue for me is worrying about what it will be like to do certain things without alcohol, it's the same issue I had three years ago but I'd like some ideas on how to deal with it. Thanks for reading!
Welcome to SR flyingsober

Regarding this issue I think the best thing to do is really just not think about it. Try and stay in the present and the future will sort itself out. That may seem like a cop out answer but I swear down so much changes as you go a long there is no point making plans about how you will cope when you will be coping totally differently when the time comes, if that makes any sense? Seriously, just stay sober and everything else will sort itself out x
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I want to thank you all for responding. Particularly those who said "stay in the moment". When I was in rehab my personal addictions counselor used to use that phrase and I have a lot of respect for him. My emotions run wild throughout the day when I think of not drinking and drinking. It's more fierce of a battle than it was the first time.

The counselor that I had three and a half years ago is on facebook and works for the military, but I've since released so I don't have access to him. I was wondering what your guys' and girls' thoughts were on contacting him.