Notices

Am I too young?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I too young?

Hi all

I am an alcoholic and I am 23. After attending a few AA meetings I have noticed a lack of people around my age group. The youngest I have met so far is early 30's.

I know for a fact that I am alcoholic and as with all of us, I can not have that first drink without it leading to the rest of the bottle and a few others after that.

So, I have spoke to the guy who ran the meeting tonight and he has said that it doesn't matter on our age, and is probably a good thing that I have noticed this as a problem, and a problem that WAS* gradually getting worse. *5 days sober YAY!

What are your opinions on the matter of age?

Cheers

Rich

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Sober Recovery
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My first husband was younger than you (21) when he got sober, and he has now been continuously sober for 33 years. We are divorced now, but still good friends, and he was musing the other day about how different his life would have been if he had not gotten sober when he did. I would have been surprised if he had lived to be 25 if he had gone on the way he was.

You might try some different meetings--we have a lot of young people at some of our meetings, and fewer at others. It's good to get out and about and try different meetings. There is also a International Conference of Young People in AA -- ICYPAA (pronounced Icky-Paw) and they have conventions and trips and lots of fun stuff.

Stick around--I think you will fit into AA just fine. BTW, I am sober myself, now, four and a half years. I was a late bloomer in the drinking department.
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jules

You are not too young and its good to recognize you have a problem. I first recognized that I had a problem when I was 25, I wasn't ready to do anything about it at that point though. I'm 33 now and finally sober.

Please don't ignore the warning signs, believe me it doesn't get better if you continue to abuse alcohol. I know that around my area there are more young peoples meeting around the college campuses. Maybe you could call the central office and ask for some info?

Don't count out the old timers though!!! Lots of wisdom.
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think age matters. I am only 22 and that didn't stop me from being a heroin addict. The advantage to coming to terms with it now at 22 is that I didn't own a home yet, I didn't have a huge bank account with life savings/retirement to run dry, I didn't put my dream job at risk, I don't have kids to affect with my addiction, and I still have my whole life to be happy and sober.

The earlier you stop the less time you waste in the chaos of addiction. We're lucky to have stopped early on.

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HI!!! I am 24 and also an alcoholic. I let most of my peers convince me that I am not an alcoholic because of my age and that it's "normal" to drink like an alcoholic since we are young.

I think people like you and me are lucky becuase we realize at a "young" age that we need help. The age thing was something that was hard to shrug for me. But when you forget about your age and realize alcohol is effecting you despite your age, you can start focusing on the comradory of fellow alcoholics and start the recovery process... It's much more comforting.

Keep it up friend. I'm at day 25! It keeps getting better. I've met great friends in aa!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you for recognizing that you are an alcoholic at your age; I was 25 when I got clean and sober. Now at 46 after an 8 year relapse with alcohol, I wish that I hadn't done the additional damage that I did to my body, mind, and soul that I'm now paying the price for. I'm sure in time you will find support with a younger crowd; just keep looking; they are there.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've met quite a few younger people now. Which was good and one of them is my new golf buddy. I Checked out meetings all over and found the one i like the most is one where I'm probably 20 years younger than most there but seems they got the best stuff to say. I'm 25 now and it would've been nice if i could have accepted the fact I'm an alcoholic a couple years ago. Just over 6 months in and life is good.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'd say in general it can take a long time for folk to admit they have a problem, hence the higher ages. Also, alcohol can be a bit of a creeper of a drug where it really gets its claws in over a number of years, with the recipient being unaware of the rising tide until he's often in a critical state.

Credit for holding your hands up so early to your problem, it would be great if many younger folk would do the same. Well done, take care.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think it's great that you know you have a problem with alcohol and are taking steps to find support. Congratulations on 5 days sober.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

blah, blah, i didn't read everything everyone said, but age matters. you know that.

i'm over 30 and still agree with the old saying don't trust people over 30, but i think 40 is the old 30 or something.

but screw us.

find sober people your age and go to them.

old timers are worth it on occasion, but why not get in to deep relationships with people that are sober your own age?

there are dating websites and things like that

if you wanted to talk to old farts, you never would have asked the question you did.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melivinsober View Post
HI!!! I am 24 and also an alcoholic. I let most of my peers convince me that I am not an alcoholic because of my age and that it's "normal" to drink like an alcoholic since we are young.

I think people like you and me are lucky becuase we realize at a "young" age that we need help. The age thing was something that was hard to shrug for me. But when you forget about your age and realize alcohol is effecting you despite your age, you can start focusing on the comradory of fellow alcoholics and start the recovery process... It's much more comforting.

Keep it up friend. I'm at day 25! It keeps getting better. I've met great friends in aa!!!
I used the age excuse right up into my 30s, then when I could not longer hide behind age, getting drunk in public became embarrassing, I hid myself away with drink.

I think it's great you guys have caught it so early, I wished I had.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melivinsober View Post
My thoughts exactly. I too seem to have nonalcoholics saying that I am being dramatic and doing it for the attention, but as described in my "Here to get my life back" thread, I noticed that everything bad that has ever happened, it seems as through I was drunk or drinking.

Rich

Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The thing is with AA is I do wonder how attractive it is to younger folk. I was thinking this just the other week or so when I went (for the first time). I mean, a lot of the stuff seems rather dogmatic, dated and antiquated to me and I'm no spring chicken.

It's just an opinion, but I think there could be a problem in general there with attracting the younger folk to recovery groups.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jojo69 View Post
The thing is with AA is I do wonder how attractive it is to younger folk. I was thinking this just the other week or so when I went (for the first time). I mean, a lot of the stuff seems rather dogmatic, dated and antiquated to me and I'm no spring chicken.

It's just an opinion, but I think there could be a problem in general there with attracting the younger folk to recovery groups.
I do find the literature quite dated. But I enjoy it. It is much better and more intellectually written that most things these days. But then, I have always seemed older than I actually am.

As for attracting in younger alcoholics, well, the programme seems to have work for many people thus far, so why change it just cos it doesn't have a 'fashionable' image like all that crap music and **** fashion cloths have.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Way to go Rich! Congrats on 5 days.
For someone who is 20 or 60 that is a big frickin deal!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HitRockBottom70 View Post
Way to go Rich! Congrats on 5 days.
For someone who is 20 or 60 that is a big frickin deal!
Thank you that's the sort of encouragement I was expecting. I just wanted to know if other people had noticed anything when they were this age.

After hearing other peoples stories on here and at AA I find that I feel very pleased that I have caught this illness early.

Cheers

Rich

Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed some posts that weren't helpful, and the bewildered replies to same

Hibbsy - I think most of us will tell you the sooner you can get a hold of this problem the better.

I wish I'd stopped in my twenties - instead I spent 20 more years on a self destructive rampage :

D
Old 02-27-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hibbsy23 View Post
Hi all

I am an alcoholic and I am 23. After attending a few AA meetings I have noticed a lack of people around my age group. The youngest I have met so far is early 30's.

I know for a fact that I am alcoholic and as with all of us, I can not have that first drink without it leading to the rest of the bottle and a few others after that.

So, I have spoke to the guy who ran the meeting tonight and he has said that it doesn't matter on our age, and is probably a good thing that I have noticed this as a problem, and a problem that WAS* gradually getting worse. *5 days sober YAY!

What are your opinions on the matter of age?

Cheers

Rich

Oooo my love u r saving your whole life so happy for u keep going back x
Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I removed some posts that weren't helpful, and the bewildered replies to same

Hibbsy - I think most of us will tell you the sooner you can get a hold of this problem the better.

I wish I'd stopped in my twenties - instead I spent 20 more years on a self destructive rampage

D
Thanks, I was slightly confused at them too.

It took the last episode to snap me out of it. I lost the one I cared about. The one that I was going to marry. She, helpful, reminded me of that just to make sure I was as upset as I could possibly be.

I just refuse to let my life be led and destroyed by booze. Its already done that. Its had its turn...now its my turn. :-)

Rich

Old 02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liss74 View Post

Oooo my love u r saving your whole life so happy for u keep going back x
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. You guys in this site are great :-)

Rich xx