Notices

Hard pill to swallow

Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard pill to swallow

Today is the first day I am admitting that I am an alcoholic. Not giving myself a pass because I am successful at work, have a good marriage and have never been in trouble. Not giving myself a pass because I am not the embarrassing drunk at a party or the weepy drunk calling friends and family. I am not calling it "a few glasses of wine" anymore. I am calling it what it is, which is an addiction, a crutch and a prison. I have planned weekends around wine, spent entire vacations either buzzed or hung over. I have looked at others in judgement over their addictions while refusing to take ownership of my own. I am finally ready to say I am done but scared that I will not be able to succeed.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am not one of the amazing people here who live in recovery and can tell you what works for them, but I do want to say What a statement! It sounds like you've made a decision to stop drinking. A lot of people here will probably say that you will need a plan of acion to move forward with your sobriety. Do you have a plan, such as AA?

A while ago I read the book Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife, where a mother with a good marriage and a fair amount of integrity tells the story of her alcoholism. I thought it was pretty good, and helped me understand how alcoholism can look slightly different on everyone.
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have planned so many things around wine and beer too. Planning where and when I could access good beers and wines...

Weekends are now a challenge but EVERY weekend I have remained sober has been enjoyable, fun, rewarding and WORTHWHILE - unlike all the drunken weekends.

Good luck on your journey!
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loanshark View Post
Not giving myself a pass because I am successful at work, have a good marriage and have never been in trouble .
So far, it gets progressively worse, and you dont even really notice it.

Not giving myself a pass because I am not the embarrassing drunk at a party or the weepy drunk calling friends and family. .
Just say YET after each of these.

I am not calling it "a few glasses of wine" anymore. I am calling it what it is, which is an addiction, a crutch and a prison. I have planned weekends around wine, spent entire vacations either buzzed or hung over .
boy you werent the only one where everything revolved around booze. i couldnt even do a day trip with the kids without running out to the truck to "check the tire pressure"

I am finally ready to say I am done but scared that I will not be able to succeed.
it is a very scary process at the start, but OMG it is so worth the challenge.
you have done step one in this journey and we are all here for you.

when the monster starts to call just sit here and start typing.
two simple rules to follow.
1) Dont drink
2) Start typing
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've come to a good place
Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I fit your description very well LoanShark - still have my job, kids, wife, house, health...but I could have easily lost them if I continued down the same path you are. You are lucky to be stopping now before it gets worse - and it will, that is a guarantee.

Kudos to admitting...now the work begins. SR is a great place to get support and find info on other types of support (AA, AVRT, SMART, etc ). The most important thing is to come up with a plan that works for you...and we're all glad to help -and glad you are here.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome LoanShark,

Same deal here although I lost everything once and rebuilt my life to where I am now. On the exterior my life looks perfect. Great job, beautiful home, 3 cars, well adjusted kids and a beautiful gf. My life looks great from the outside looking in but the problems with alcohol were tearing apart everything that I worked for and I'm not talking about the possessions but rather the relationships with the people I mentioned. Had I have kept going I would have lost it all for a second time. And like you weekends were spent drinking then Monday and Tuesday were hangover days, Wednesday was just crappy and the excitement started again Thursday in anticipation of the weekend.

It was a crappy downward cycle that appeared to have no way out. I tired so many times to quit on my own and would string together some sober time but I was always jealous of the "lucky" ones who were able to drink. I resented my gf and my kids for that reason alone and was just a bitter guy to be around. It came down to my gf telling me she was going to leave me and at that point I joined AA.

I'm just coming up to 2 months sober which is 2 weeks longer than I've ever gone. I'm not going to push AA on you but it has helped me tremendously and finding others like "us" makes a huge difference or at least does for myself. No more bitterness or jealousy, just peace in my heart and in my head plus the added bonus of having a social life with a lot of new friends. My family is proud, things are slowly healing and there is happiness in the home

Regardless of what you choose to do congrats on facing things and best of luck
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Talltrees View Post
I am not one of the amazing people here who live in recovery and can tell you what works for them, but I do want to say What a statement! It sounds like you've made a decision to stop drinking. A lot of people here will probably say that you will need a plan of acion to move forward with your sobriety. Do you have a plan, such as AA?

A while ago I read the book Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife, where a mother with a good marriage and a fair amount of integrity tells the story of her alcoholism. I thought it was pretty good, and helped me understand how alcoholism can look slightly different on everyone.
This was one of my favorite books.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome loanshark!

It's not easy admitting our problem and reaching out for help, so you've taken a major step today! I wasn't sure I'd be able to stop drinking either when I first came here, but I found that with support, I got a little stronger each day.

Life is so much better sober and I think you'll find it to be true for you, too. Glad you're here!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, loanshark. You'll be getting a lot of support and encouragement from people who really understand - I think it will help you tremendously.

I wish I'd been as self aware as you. I was once at the stage you are, but refused to see what was happening to me. Many years of trying to control my drinking resulted in chaos and terrible loss. This won't be you. Glad you are taking action - we know you can do it.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Loanshark

D
Old 02-27-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today is the first day I am admitting that I am an alcoholic. Not giving myself a pass because I am successful at work, have a good marriage and have never been in trouble. Not giving myself a pass because I am not the embarrassing drunk at a party or the weepy drunk calling friends and family. I am not calling it "a few glasses of wine" anymore. I am calling it what it is, which is an addiction, a crutch and a prison. I have planned weekends around wine, spent entire vacations either buzzed or hung over. I have looked at others in judgement over their addictions while refusing to take ownership of my own. I am finally ready to say I am done but scared that I will not be able to succeed.
Good on you x I was like that in every way I never was a bad angry drunk YET ! I was pro even looked after other drunk friends but could never put it down everything was around the drink I mean everything !!!!!! Sick of being so ill
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

So few people seemed to notice that I was having serious substance issues, and the few who did didn't say anything...that it was a relief for me to walk into a group and say "I'm an addict" it allowed me to do something about it.

Other people can be in denial about our substance abuse as well...for a whole host of reasons. Only by being able to admit it, was I able to address it for real, and then the healing began. It was way cool that people accepted that I was an addict and that I wanted to recover, without me having to prove just how much more I could screw up my life.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! I felt the same way, hang in there, you can do this!