Notices

Hi All

Old 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi All

Hi Everyone
Exactly what I'm looking for/hoping for from this 'journey',, I am not really sure!!
So WTH am I doing here I hear you ask!?!?
Basically I have realised that due to issues I have been experiencing at home, over the past couple of years, I have now found myself starting to use the Beer to distance myself from the issues I have.
My Fiancee has been suffering with migraine headaches for the past 3-4 years (not long after we moved into this property) and has also come down with depression. This inevitably brought me down to as it is soo hard to see a loved one going through so much pain.
Since I was about 25 I have been drinking around the same amount (well I think so anyway (approx 4-5 cans per night, all being quite strong and equates to 16.5 units) and I've always been a 'Sessionhead' always wanted to get wasted, but try to avoid doing that now (only on special occasions).
I have always been in the habit of get things done then get mashed. But also, lately I have noticed my putting things off, so I could have a drink and a smoke an hour earlier..

I think I just need to excersice my willpower more and make sure I keep it to the weekends eh?

Maybe One Day!!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's hard is it not...?

Welcome.. and just keep trying.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Fred

I think I just need to excersice my willpower more and make sure I keep it to the weekends eh?
If you can do that, sure
If you can't you'll find a lot of support here.

D
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by exauhsted View Post
It's hard is it not...?
Yup!! After years of daily drinking its sooo habit now
I just dont wanna have to stop totally!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee!! Fingers crossed!!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

4-5 cans a night is quite a lot Fred. Have you been doing that for long? Maybe if you don't want to quit you could cut that down and make sure you have a couple of alcohol free nights a week...?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hiya Hypo,,
Yeah,, Ive been drinkin that much for close on 15 years now,,and i can feel myself starting to help cover some of the crap thats going on,, so as you say,, im planning on drinking on certain days only,, its difficult to say 'just weekends' because I work wierd shift patterns and often work weekends,,
Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you tried giving up on certain days before? I aimed for the holy grail of 2 nights off a week for a long time but never managed it. I always ended up saying I'll do it next week but never did. Complete abstinence was the only way I could manage it in the end, and as it turns out was definitely the more fun option. If I honestly think about it I cannot see any enjoyment in just having 2 beers x
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes Hypo, I have, and failed! Lol
Difference is this time I have admitted it to the Mrs! So she wants me stop completely but I know the only way Im gonna do that is if I want to.. And I dont!! I still LOVE a beer so would never want to cut it out completely especially at Xmas and Bdays etc,,
But I think now the Mrs knows shes watching me like a hawk because her mother had a serious alchohol problem and I know she dont want it to happen to me. She says as long as I can manage just the weekends she'll be ok with that,, so now I have something to do it for along with someone to watch me and keep me in check!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We all love beer That's why we're here.

So when's your next alcohol free day? And don't say next week x
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lol,,, well yeah!

And my next one is today,, although its much harder tonight cos last night the Mrs was very supporting,, but diff story today!! And I always drink when im cookin dinner (which is what im doin now) and theres 2 cans of my fave sitting behind me,, but im resisting well! Lol
Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Forgive us if you don't get a whole lot of support for your plan to moderate your drinking. This is a forum for recovery of addiction and alcoholism. For Sobriety. Most, if not all of us, have tried and failed at moderation. I wrestled with "moderation" and "control" the whole last ten years of my drinking until in the last year I didn't even try. Just drank.

Give not drinking a try. Say 90 days. You'd be surprised what you'll discover in the struggle.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Doggon,, Im well aware of how difficult it will be to just moderate it and I know its probably easier to stay sober,, but i don't wanna have to say no at parties etc,, as i have said now i have more reason to do this i think I am gonna try it one last time (ie, have a couple of beers over the weekend, then abstain for the following week, and see how i get on during that week,, if i have problems doing that and i drink during the week,, the Mrs will pick up on that and really screw her up!!! So thats a mega no no!!
And if that happens and i give in, then my only option will be complete abstinence! Except xmas !!! Lol. Oh and funerals!!! Possibly birthdays too?? Oh yeah and public holidays!! (Specially when its sunny!!!!) lol
I've explained that it will be difficult for me to completely abstain because i (myself) do not want to stop completely,, but I DO wanna cut right down to certain times..so HOPEFULLY, the fact that I CANT drink because I care for her, and she is ok with me just drinking weekends,, it could just work!!

Basically i can only drink when she says so!!

But im sure we've all been there eh???