Notices

An update on me... the sober me!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An update on me... the sober me!

Hi everyone. I am sorry that I can't post here more often. I spend at least an hour a day reading here and I feel like I have become acquainted with a number of you, but no one knows me at all. The internet is such a strange tool.

Anyhow, I have a few minutes alone with a key board, so I thought I would share a little bit. I've been sober for two months now (after a decade of VERY heavy drinking). I was struggling and trying to moderate for over a year, however the idea of permanently quitting had never really crossed my mind until two months ago. It turns out that this has been the best decision that I have ever made.

My experience has been that the very first week was, by far, the most difficult. I had to deal with crippling anxiety, the shakes, and insomnia while being the mom of very small children. It was no easy task - but it went by quickly enough. I would say that the month following that I was feeling overly optimistic. Things were looking beautiful, I started noticing little things around me that I had been neglecting for entirely too long, and my relationship with my husband and children improved dramatically. I was feeling AMAZING.

The dust has started to settle and I am starting to develop new patterns. I don't think about drinking very often, but when I do, this is how I get through it.

I acknowledge that my addiction is doing what it does.

I think about what will happen if I decide to give in to it. (It's noon. If I drink now, I will be black out drunk before it's time for the kids to go to bed. Do I want to drink that badly? NOPE. It's ten. If I drink now, I'll probably say something stupid, hurt my husbands feelings, and have trouble getting the kids off to school tomorrow. Do I want to drink that badly? NOPE)

By the time I think through two or three scenarios, the urge is gone. These thoughts keep getting further and further apart, too.

I have managed to continue to hang out with my friends, to go to restaurants, to be the only one at a table without a drink, and to enjoy it. My greatest fear was that I would "have" to abandon my social life, my kids friends parents houses, and anywhere else where others may be drinking. I don't mind at all and I have had so much more fun being sober in these situations. I am even going to be the DD for a bridal shower on Saturday.

Me! A designated driver!!! I think a few of the girls might actually faint when they see this one. haha.

I am powerful and awesome and sober. I have learned so much about myself and what I want out of life from being here. I am free. SR rules. xo.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You are indeed awesome, with courage, resolve, and confidence. A 100% certified Badass. Congratulations.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

awesome! thanks for reminding me about the kids. Thats a great way to look at it, go through the consequences and see if its worth it. of course its not.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you!

Loved every bit of your post xx
Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for sharing that.
I got positive vibes just reading your story.
Congrats on your sobriety, go for it.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting... after several months of long bouts of 14 days then a relapse I made the decision today to quit entirely. I hope to be posting something very similar 40 days from now... you're an inspiration. thanks...
Old 02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the positive post Thinking thru the drink helps me immensely as well. Great stuff!!
Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
This is wonderful!!! Thank you for sharing FinallyFinished...so may will benefit from reading it.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A very uplifting and powerful message. Thank you for sharing, FF.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting... this is good stuff. Congrats on two months!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Finally finished, a very inspiring post! You will help get me through
Old 02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Thats a beautiful thing to hear FF.

Time flies when you're havin fun
Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that! I am going to use your advice about thinking of the consequences if I do drink (as I am only on day 3 and currently struggling with the bottle tonight). Also, its wonderful to read about how happy you are now that you have been sober for 60 days as it gives me inspiration for my own sober future.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My first time on here and that is an extremely inspiring post thank you so much for sharing
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for this update and keep them coming. I relate to SO MANY of the thought you mention in here - good luck today and every day.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We are around the same sobriety period and I concur with everything you wrote! It is very liberating breaking the chains of alcohol, isn't it? I am so happy that you are enjoying your new sober life as much as I am!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi guys! I'm creeping up on four months. I must have hit the sobriety jackpot, because someone asked me to smell a fancy cucumber beer and I instantly felt like I was going to vomit. I cannot tell you how THRILLED I was to have that reaction. Seriously, it's a relief to be turned off by the stuff!

Nothing else new to report really. I still read here every day. I still have a lot of fun with my kids and host a lot of BBQs. And these days I actually remember who came and what we talked about.

Wishing you all a peaceful and sobertastic weekend!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Finally.. It feels great doesn't it? Im just 3 days ahead of you. The part about bbq so true and Im back to being a great cook, I couldn't stay at bbq because my bottle was in the kitchen. congrats