Notices

Day 10, sick, need some advice/encouragement.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10, sick, need some advice/encouragement.

This is day 10 off alcohol and xanax. I had two years and then relapsed.

I have been off work yesterday and today with a respiratory tract infection that has been going around. It's a new job and pretty stressful so I'm feeling I need to go in tomorrow. I'm feeling completely stressed out and overwhelmed at the thought of going to work while still not well, but more stressed out at the thought of not going in. I've completely got myself in a tizz and don't know how to think straight about this. I don't want to call in sick a third day and I don't know how to manage the stress of being sick as well as the stress of the job with nothing to take the edge off. I'm probably not even being coherent. I'm still in my probationary period and have already had 2 sick days.

Assuming I go in, how do I get through the day and deal with all the feelings of overwhelm that I know will come up. It's a high stress, fast paced and chaotic environment. It's not just me - there's not enough people or resources to get the job done efficiently.

It's not a job I would choose to take had I other options, but it's the only job I was offered after nearly 4 months of unemployment so I need to take care. It's also really good money so it's a chance to get a bit ahead financially.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd definitely see how you feel in the morning.

I used to go to work at all costs - but I don't know how productive I was or how considerate I was being of others.

People get sick - even the best workers and even in their probationary period...

and I have to add because it really caught my eye...people manage being sick without 'something to take the edge off' too - watch that addiction monster - he's sneaky...

It's got to be your call...none of us know the details or which stress might be worse...but if you do decide not to go in, get a doctors certificate

D
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tiger, good advice from Dee. Get a doctors note if you can. You might call your office in the morning and talk to your supervisor to see how things are going. They may not want you in spreading germs. can you call your doctors office first thing and see if the doctor can get you in ASAP or maybe just write a note? My doctor has been kind enough to write an excuse for me after a phone call.

Take care. Love from Lenina
Old 02-26-2013, 12:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a note for yesterday and today, it won't be a problem to get another one for tomorrow if I need one.

Argh how do normal people manage normal stress? I know this is normal stress but it seems so overwhelming and confusing. It all seems so big and dramatic.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
I have a note for yesterday and today, it won't be a problem to get another one for tomorrow if I need one.

Argh how do normal people manage normal stress? I know this is normal stress but it seems so overwhelming and confusing. It all seems so big and dramatic.
I can imagine how you are feeling right now, managing stress is not easy even for normal people. Things may be tough right now but if you keep doing what is right everything will eventually take shape and you will be happy.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Definitely still too sick to go to work today so called in sick. I feel extremely stressed about not going in. Usually I would would just pop a few pills and not think twice about it. I have chest pain, I'm so stressed!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Calling in sick twice during your probationary period sends the employer the wrong message. I would do what ever I had to do to show up tomorrow with a smile on my face. Taking off tomorrow would put you another day behind the learning process.
A new job that pays good in this economic environment is something to hold onto dearly.
Good luck with your health and your job.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's not a lot of point about being stressed about it TL - you're sick.
Try to take it easy - be kind to yourself.

Hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow

D
Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Calling in sick twice during your probationary period sends the employer the wrong message. I would do what ever I had to do to show up tomorrow with a smile on my face. Taking off tomorrow would put you another day behind the learning process.
A new job that pays good in this economic environment is something to hold onto dearly.
Good luck with your health and your job.
were you the guy who'd invariably sit next to me on the train and gave me the flu ABIDE?

D
Old 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had to cut back on work for a while when getting sober.
If it is any comfort to you, forget about getting ahead at the moment.
Patience.
Take it easy.
If you are sick, you are sick.
When you are well again, be gracious and a good employee.
That is all you can do.
Feel better.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been in the job since 12 December. I have a 6 month probationary period.

I am still too sick to go in. I can hardly get off the couch and I'm a bit dizzy when I'm upright. I'm definitely better than yesterday though. I will do my best to get into the office tomorrow. My boss has been at a conference elsewhere yesterday and today, so my absence isn't so obvious. I've responded to a bunch of emails this morning via my phone. Now I need to lie down again.

I've never been this sick for this long before. I would normally be chowing down on xanax by now to manage my stress and anxiety. OMG how do people do this. I take anti-anxiety medication as prescribed by my shrink but she also prescribes me xanax in case I have panic attacks. I have to learn how to manage an anxiety or panic attack without medicating it.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

TigerLili, Day 10, sick, need some advice/encouragement. You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. You had 2 years, so you know what it's like to be sober. Rootin for ya.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Aww thanks neferkamichael!
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So its still Day 13 off booze, but yesterday I had to take a xanax. I woke up at 2.30am with a massive panic attack. Then I started getting severe chest pain through to my back, my arm started getting really heavy and weird, I got nausea and cold sweats. Eventually I thought I was having a heart attack because the chest pain didn't let up and and called an ambulance. I asked the ambo guys if it could just be because I had a virus anyway and a panic attack but they said that given that I'd had chest pain for 3 hours now and all the other symptoms were typical of cardiac event, they were taking me to hospital.

Fortunately everything was ok. I called my dr and told her what happened and that I was still experiencing increasing anxiety and chest pain and was worried I would have another panic attack, so she called a script for xanax into my pharmacy and I picked it up.

This is the pattern my panic attacks always follow. They wake me up in the middle of the night, fully blown, and it's too late to take the preventive steps I could take if I was wake when they started to ramp up.

So I think I have to have a bottom line about only taking as prescribed and letting someone, like my sponsor, know when I'm taking one. I have to stay honest about it. I may even just keep 2-3 in the house and get a friend to hang on to the rest so I'm accountable for how many I take.

On the upside, it's made it crystal clear that I have to deal with my boundaries at work, and finding ways to get rid of stress rather than letting it accumulate and explode like that. I was worrying about work all day and that was what I was worrying about when I woke up with the chest pain. And then I was lying in ER with a drip in my arm responding to work email on my phone. Sheesh.

I went into work this morning for a few hours as I had a drs apt down the road at lunchtime. I picked up my laptop and will do a bit of catch up on the weekend from the comfort of my couch.