Notices

Glad to be here

Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Glad to be here

Hi, I am new. Have been lurking and reading posts for the past couple of days. Want to stop drinking. Really bad. Up to 1.5 bottles of wine a night on weeknights and more on the weekends. Tonight is the first time I have not had a drink in at least 14 days.

This site gives me hope. I read some of your posts and it’s like I am reading about my own life. I did not realize how isolated I felt until I began to read posts here and relate to all of you. I am a solo drinker and have been isolating myself more and more as my problem worsens. Wine became my best friend. Eases my anxiety only to rev it up the next day.

Not sure when to stop. I want it to be soon. I have stopped before. For a good five months while I did this weight loss program. But then I convinced myself I could drink a little and we all know what happens after that.

I afraid to say "I am going to stop today" because I have done that so many times before only to start drinking again.

But I need to stop. I am a 33 year old wife and mother of two boys, 9 and 4 years old. My 9 year old is starting to ask questions: “Mom, what is the point of drinking wine?”, “Mom, is alcohol a drug?”.

Your posts have convinced me to at least try AA. This is extremely hard for me. I am a social worker. I do not work in the chemical dependency field but I know many other social workers/therapists who do and I am afraid I will run into them at a meeting. I have gone so far as to look for meetings in the next town to reduce the chances of running into colleagues. But I will go.

Hi and thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hello NewDay,
good for you for getting active in this direction.
it's "extremely hard" for pretty much everybody to take the first steps, and my first meeting (not AA, but secular) was the only one i was going to go to. no way was i ever going to go to more than one! i was only going so i could know i'd faced some other "real live people" and admitted i was a drunk. knew it was important to do, for me.
but when i went, lo and behold, it was just like this: I read some of your posts and it’s like I am reading about my own life. I did not realize how isolated I felt until I began to read posts here and relate to all of you.
i was a solo-drinker also, no-one knew.
but i waited much longer than you. years i could have spent being better "there/present" with my kids. and others. and myself.
good you're taking action now, and yes, this can be done.
hope is good. hope and action is better!

best to you.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi NewDay

the best advice I can give you is don't wait - it's scary for sure and it's a momentous decision - but don't wait another minute to start a new life

you'll find a lot of support encouragement and ideas here - we're glad to have you

D
Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome NewDay! So glad you found SR. You are definitely not alone, more people than you'd ever imagine are dealing with what all of us are struggling with. I wouldn't worry too much about running into someone you know at a meeting-if they are there, they have the same issues.

Your children are a great reason to quit now. Give them a fully functioning mom, and give yourself the gift of knowing you're doing the best you can for them. You can do this!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewDay79 View Post
But I need to stop. I am a 33 year old wife and mother of two boys, 9 and 4 years old. My 9 year old is starting to ask questions: “Mom, what is the point of drinking wine?”, “Mom, is alcohol a drug?”.

Hi and thanks.
Luckily for me I don't have any kids, so I can imagine it's exponentially harder to quit when you do. One of the things I always promised myself is that I had to quit drinking for good before I allowed myself to raise any kids.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for reaching out guys. Didn't drink last for the 1st time in a while. I'm at work right now waiting for the anxiety and paranoia and shakes that usually occur after a nite of drinking. I keep having to remind myself that I didn't drink.....
Old 02-26-2013, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome newday79 I can relate to so much you said...I too isolated and drank more than a bottle of wine every night and a magnum size on the weekends. My anxiety the next day was unbearable but I continued. AA has been very helpful for me for many reasons. It has given me a program to help me stay sober as well as introduced me to many great people. I actually do social things now. Sober. I feel so blessed. A good friend of mine was also afraid of running into people she knows from work so she goes to meetings in a town over. Keep us posted as to how you are doing