Notices

I think I'm going to be fired on thursday...

Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I'm going to be fired on thursday...

I came to work and my supervisor (at least I think that's what she is... lots of confusing management changes around here) Had left an exel sheet of the schedule she was working on up on the computer that I am supposed to use. It had part of this week and the rest of march. I was on it until wednesday. During march... Nothing. My heart sank my head spun. I was SOOOO angry and confused. They've been messing with everyone's schedule.... I suspected that someone was going to get fired. but me?

I called her and told her what I found, and asked her if I am going to be fired. She said something like, we're trying to find places for everyone. We aren't sure where to put you right now. I stated the obvious and reminded her that the schedule she made is completely filled.... Where are you going to put me? She told me that I will no longer be a receptionist and that she has to talk to HER boss about what my new schedule is going to be....

BS if you ask me. I am doing my best to stay calm. I'm listening to my favorite calm CD, the lumineers. It's helping.

Talked it out with some trusted coworkers. Refrained from just walking out. I'm definitely in a fog though.

I have a psycologist appt tomorrow AND an AA meeting. good timing. I just need to make it through the night, and my head will be more clear in the morning. Then I can get some extra support tomorrow and think this out like an adult.

I am sober 23 days today, and will be for 24 days tomorrow!! Send me happy thoughts all. <3 thanks!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck. Sending good thoughts your way. Stay calm and i love that band too.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's hard, but try not to worry until you know for sure.
I hope it works out better than you think it might Melvin

D
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy thoughts and hugs
Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job on your 23 days, Melivin. I agree with Dee - try to wait and see what's going on. I don't think she would've talked to you about there being a new schedule - then she'd just look like a liar.

Lumineers - I only know the one song - I should get the CD.

Good thoughts coming your way - let us know how it goes.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Melivin. I got fired "blindsided" about 5 weeks ago. At first I was stunned that they actually did it, but then I realized that everything happens for a reason. Something better must be waiting around the corner, and the situation had to happen for us to find that better opportunity. That's how I look at things anyway. I know my stress level is soooo much better now, and without all that stress, I don't really think about drinking that much. Hang in there. Drinking doesn't help anything.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're doing great with your recovery and good for you for staying as calm as you are.

Hopefully this situation will work out in your favour.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melivinsober View Post
Talked it out with some trusted coworkers. Refrained from just walking out. I'm definitely in a fog though.
I am sober 23 days today, and will be for 24 days tomorrow!! Send me happy thoughts all. <3 thanks!
I'm sending you happy thoughts, and hopefully a useful tip.
As others said, they are still working on the schedule. It may resolve itself.

So, Do NOT walk out. (I'm glad you said "I refrained").
It screws up your ability to get unemployment checks.
And then it marks you as "quitting", or even worse "leaving work prematurely". I know it sucks, but you'll need to put on your acting skills, go to work, do what you usually do, and force them to make any first move.

I know this is a very challenging hit to your ego ('why me?') , and it's scary to think of the future. BUT, even though it's not what you or anyone wants, it does happen to millions of good, honest people. Don't do anything you wouldn't normally do, and don't act on emotion.
Sending you MORE happy & peace-filled thoughts
Old 02-25-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hey there,

+1 to what AcceptingChange said... if the worst is to happen, and you don't have a job anymore (which you don't know for sure yet!) then it's far better to be fired than to quit. I got laid off in December and unemployment benefits are actually pretty sweet. Definitely enough to live on, and I'm in San Francisco, which is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. So worst case scenario, you get a "surprise sabbatical" which is what I'm calling my little break.

If your manager's telling the truth, then you don't have to worry. And if she's lying, then that means she's afraid of confrontation, so you can probably guilt her into writing you a nice reference.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That must be very confusing, but I concur with the others—take things one step at a time. Jobs come and go, but reputations tend to travel with you. Handling it calmly the way you are can only help ensure you keep this job, and if all else fails, win you a positive recommendation for the next one.

Good luck!

PS: You have great taste in music.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I posted on here.

I'm still at work, and this was a good reminder before I get off that I just want to go straight home.

Thank you all for your wonderful support. *hugs* Words can't express how helpful you all are to me.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melivinsober View Post
I came to work and my supervisor (at least I think that's what she is... lots of confusing management changes around here) Had left an exel sheet of the schedule she was working on up on the computer that I am supposed to use. It had part of this week and the rest of march. I was on it until wednesday. During march... Nothing. My heart sank my head spun. I was SOOOO angry and confused. They've been messing with everyone's schedule.... I suspected that someone was going to get fired. but me?

I called her and told her what I found, and asked her if I am going to be fired. She said something like, we're trying to find places for everyone. We aren't sure where to put you right now. I stated the obvious and reminded her that the schedule she made is completely filled.... Where are you going to put me? She told me that I will no longer be a receptionist and that she has to talk to HER boss about what my new schedule is going to be....

BS if you ask me. I am doing my best to stay calm. I'm listening to my favorite calm CD, the lumineers. It's helping.

I have a psycologist appt tomorrow AND an AA meeting. good timing. I just need to make it through the night, and my head will be more clear in the morning. Then I can get some extra support tomorrow and think this out like an adult.

Sending happy thoughts your way )))))))
Old 02-26-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning! Sober day 24! Went straight home and got some good rest. I'm up early getting ready for my psychologist appt then on to AA. I'm going to print out my resume and go apply for a welding apprenticeship today.

Feeling positive. Thanks for all of your support and good thoughts!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good morning. Thinking of you and your job situation. I hope all works out. Keep processing those thoughts and do whatever it takes during this confusing time. It seems that when the world is spinning so fast it can be easy to slip up.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my instance, there were two "meetings" at work. The first one was for the people who were going to be retained. The second one was for the people who were going to be dumped. It was a cost cutting measure by people who didn't know us from a hole in the wall.

The whole business went belly up anyway.

Seeing your name not on a spread sheet that it's your job to read is a very rude way of breaking the news.

Best of luck to you.

The economy is not doing well, and it shows no signs of improvement. Not that I can see. And I'm talking world wide.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

good on ya, melvin!!
if it happens that the door closes on ya, another one will open.
from what i have seen, welding is a career that is lacking in people to fill the positions. it is an awesome trade. i used to think it was just slappin 2 pieces of steel together and layin a booger on em to join them together. then i took some classes on welding. had a wee bit of a cocky attitude, so my teacher slapped 2 pieces of steel down and said,"butt weld these." "no problem!" i thought. holy cow!! i wasnt layin boogers, i was layin chunks of flesh!LOLOL. found out pot metal can be welded, but not with a stick welder.
as stated, its an awesome trade and i am sure yer gonna love it! hands on, not something just anyone can do( i still cant weld vertically and never had the paitience to learn tig) and things are still made outta steel that need to be welded or fixed.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm SO inspired by your great attitude!!! And Congratulations on Day 24....you're doing excellent!

I've always disliked uncertainty. My default thinking always turns negative and I let my thoughts spin out of control. Do what you're doing - stay calm, plan ahead but hope for the best possible outcome.

I was terminated from my job while I was on short-term disability in December. I was 11 days sober. I was hurt, wounded and really ticked off. But....I didn't drink over it. After the initial shock, I realized that it must have happened for a reason. Still looking for a job, but I am receiving unemployment which is extremely helpful. I realized that I needed this time to really work on my sobriety.

Best of luck to you....you're in my prayers!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Use yesterday today and tomorrow as a guide thru your day.
it will be helpful.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=SoberFallon;3836422]
I was terminated from my job while I was on short-term disability in December. I was 11 days sober. I was hurt, wounded and really ticked off. But....I didn't drink over it. After the initial shock, I realized that it must have happened for a reason. Still looking for a job, but I am receiving unemployment which is extremely helpful. I realized that I needed this time to really work on my sobriety.
QUOTE]

Thank you Fallon. I am starting to come to this realization as well... Slowly and steadily. :P

This will serve some kind of purpose in my life.