Notices

Trigger

Old 02-25-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trigger

What do ya do when you get triggered to the point that something snaps in your head and you just decide you are going to drink no matter what. Its like all the rest of your brain the part with the other options turns off?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

have you tried this?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

it's about accepting we have triggers - but we don't need to pull them

D
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Addiction certainly is a strong issue. Cravings suck but only last for a short period of time. I try to remember to play the scene through if I drink. I will not drink in moderation. I will drink too much. I will black out. I will get in legal or medical trouble. I will be sick and hungover the next day. I will regret drinking. It's easier for me to think about not drinking....not matter what.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I ignore it anyway. I have had a couple of those moments where I really couldn't see any other option and I didn't feel like I had set the situation up to give myself permission to drink or anything. It can be quite a scary moment. But it passes if you don't act on it. That was quite a revelation for me. I think the scary unknown is what happens when you really want to drink and you don't...? Basically the moment just passes and you go on to live a healthy happy sober life. Whereas if you drank the knock on effect could be pretty damaging.