Notices

Took a while to accept I have a problem.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Took a while to accept I have a problem.

Hello! Well let me start off by saying that I had my last drink Saturday night. I've been fighting that I have a problem for a long time now, and it's only made it worse. It started in October when I would have a beer or two on a couple weekdays to relax before bed and I was self medicating with it because I have HORRIBLE anxiety issues. On the weekends...I would drink til I black out and not remember hours of the night before, including getting into a HUGE fight with my fiancee, and trying to kiss one of my friends boyfriends (neither I remember AT ALL), yes I know BAD stuff.

Finally this weekend, my fiancee and I had a LONG talk and we are both going to not drink for 30 days, but I think I should just stop completely for a long time, maybe permanently. The fact that I'm SCARED of not drinking again makes me feel really pathetic. But I know that this will greatly improve my life and health.

I just need to shut up the voice in my head saying I can't do it.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome!

Originally Posted by cbeeapple View Post
I just need to shut up the voice in my head saying I can't do it.
The bad news is it never shuts up. It wants to drink and doesn't care that you think you shouldn't. (I have one, too, so I know.)

The good news is that it's only a voice, and it has no real power. YOU have a much stronger voice with real power behind it.

And you ABSOLUTELY can do this.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Feeling scarred of change is not unusual , lots of people have that .
I think it's great to give up for a certain amount of time if longer is getting you nervy.

My drinking was pritty bad so i thought i should give at least a year a try and see where i was then , i found i quite liked being sober .

I'm coming up to 18 months alcohol free , i don't want a drink today and i can't envisage me wanting one tomorow . Forever is a very big idea so i'll just stick to a more human kinda timescale ..

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us!

Give the 30 days a sincere effort. My guess is that as you rack up a few sober days and then a few sober weekends, you'll start to feel a lot better about things. It is really nice waking up with no regrets over what you said/did/texted/broke the night before. You'll probably want a lot more mornings like that once you've gotten a taste of it.

The fact that you can already hear/identify that voice means you are ahead of the game.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That voice in the head defies all reason. It's only a liquid. How can it have a consciousness? A plant perhaps, but a liquid?

Best of luck with your journey, and that's awesome that your fiancee is going to join you.

Drinking stops being fun after a certain point. It becomes like a heavy metal pendant dangling from your chest, and it's always there as a reminder.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome cbeeapple

giving up drinking was just about the scariest thing I'd ever done...but I've never regretted it.

I got my life back - and I got me - the real me - back.

If any of that makes sense to you - go for it