Notices

Xanax and Ambien/Lunesta Addiction and Dependence

Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax and Ambien/Lunesta Addiction and Dependence

I have been taking Ambien for the last 4 or so years - 10mg and 12.5mg ER. Also, the last 9 months i've been on Xanax for pretty intense stress and anxiety. I went from 0.25 > 0.50 > and finally 1mg. normal 3x daily or as needed. We upped to 1mg when I informed my doctor I wanted to quit smoking and I knew it would def help. The 1mg worked. Haven't had a smoke since 9/6/12. Anyways, both these meds were prescribed by one doctor. He never ever voiced concerns. In November (2 1/2 of no smokes) I felt i was a confirmed not smoking and quit taking the Xanax. Smart, right? Hello seizure at thanksgiving dinner. Spent two days in hospital, doc says continue 1mg and so i did. My stress is leveling off but the fear of another seizure (like when i am driving, etc.) is just terrifying. Anyways, my doctor won't refill my Xanax script anymore and said if I have any issues to "just go to the hospital" and said "We're done." I took the pills, I exerted energy to put them in my system. But i can't believe he's cutting me off and making me go cold turkey on Benzos after years of "Sure, here's a refill." He seemed so laxed about scripts i honestly thought i could get 9,000 Oxy's, Birth Control, and one of the nurses for the night without an issue.

What do you guys think of this?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OscarGamble View Post
i honestly thought i could get 9,000 Oxy's, Birth Control, and one of the nurses for the night without an issue.

What do you guys think of this?
This post was a trigger for me.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

maybe the Dr. thought you were a future risk since you went off the xanax without consulting him.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

has anyone experienced seizures from cold-turkeying benzos like xanax?
Old 02-24-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OscarGamble View Post
has anyone experienced seizures from cold-turkeying benzos like xanax?
Plenty of people here have and I nearly did. Don't do it
Old 02-24-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Oscar - welcome

I think we can bitch about Drs until we turn blue in the face - the really important thing here is you need to start looking for new medical support.

most people with benzo experience will tell you getting off them can be difficult and it's best to seek medical advice.

D
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I took klonopin for probably a couple of years and i abused them pretty much the whole time.

The doctor never told me i would have a single problem stopping. 3 days later with no sleep,i knew something was wrong.

Didn't have a seizure but daily living was tough. Couldn't write a check, could barely hold a fork. It was weird. It went on like that for about a month.

You need to taper. I dont know why you're doctor dropped you like that, unless you told him that you had a problem.

I've been honest with 2 doctors about my problem and and i was instant drug seeker.