Notices

Help!!

Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help!!

Today is day 2 for me and I have been doing okay....I mean I think about drinking at least twice a minute but I am managing....
Then my boyfriend and I got in a fight and he left and came home with alcohol - I know that I have not told him that I am an alcoholic but he definitely knows that I have a problem....
What do I do?? I have been trying to stay busy but the bottle is just sitting on the counter staring at me!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Go out of the house and take a walk, or call someone to meet up with for coffee.

If your boyfriend chooses to drink and have alcohol in the house, then that is something you need to accept or to move on. I know I couldn't have stayed sober with alcohol in the house.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would tell your boyfriend that you're an alcoholic who's trying to quit. Tell him to hide his bottle. Let him do it--it's better for you not to touch it or go near it.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Gilmer. If he cares about you and you let him know exactly how you feel about alcohol he will support you in your decision. That would be a good start. I know personally I can't seem to stay sober when I'm with someone who isn't.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I did get out of the house for a while - went for a drive, got a tea and just sat in the Tim Horton's parking lot contemplating what is important for me right now.
By the time I got home my boyfriend was gone but the alcohol remained.....so I dumped it down the drain!! I will be having a huge talk with him when he returns tonight and while I am scared to say those words out loud I realize that until I can I will never fully recover.
I am an alcoholic and I need support and help - I can not do this alone.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you! It's so hard to admit to the people we love that we have a problem. I hope your talk goes well!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

WTG Sammi - you've done what I could only hope to be brave enough to do - dump a bottle of booze out
Old 02-24-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sammi14 View Post
I am an alcoholic and I need support and help - I can not do this alone.

Well thats the first bit out of the way. I would suggest you get yourself along to an AA meeting. Trust me, if you let them know its your first meeting then you will never need to be alone with this again.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! This place is a godsend for me right now!

Bigndfan - I don't know how I did it - I just walked in the door, saw it and got really angry. However, as soon as I dumped it - I regretted it....I feel desperate for a drink right now!!

Cormat - there is an AA meeting tomorrow night near my house that I would like to try - I am just so scared to go....what happens there? Do I have to get up and talk?

Can anyone tell me how long detoxing lasts?? It has been 32 hours since my last drink and while I do not have any severe side effects, I do feel anxious and shaky....
Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's normal to feel nervous and shaky for the first 2 or three days at least Sammi.

Of course if you're worried - see your Dr

D
Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yay! I'm proud of you! That was a big leap. In the AA meetings you don't have to talk if you don't want to. I went intending to just be a viewer. However, I wound up telling my story and it felt great to get it off of my chest. And I enjoy aa meetings because I have yet to meet anyone who judges me. and on this site as well.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sammi14 View Post
Cormat - there is an AA meeting tomorrow night near my house that I would like to try - I am just so scared to go....what happens there? Do I have to get up and talk?

You go along. Somebody will usually be outside and they will offer a greeting and maybe ask you your name. Just your first name. You can either tell them or even make one up. Your call.

If you let them know its your first time then they might get somebody to come and sit down with you but you dont have to do that. There will be tea or coffee on offer (and maybe all points between). Somebody MIGHT ask you to read out something from a card but feel free to decline and nobody will think any less of you.

My own advice for a first meeting is just sit back and try and absorb what is going on. Listening, well that takes practice and chances are it will all seem a bit of a blur but just let things flow around you. Trust me, as a newcomer people will be so happy to just have you there because your presence is ESSENTIAL in helping keep everybody else sober. Never underestimate just how important that is.

They will probably have two banners up as well. One with the 12 steps, the other with the 12 traditions. My advice is just focus on tradition 3. It will become clear when you see it but for me its the most important thing to grasp about AA as its the whole thing in a very simple and straightforward way. If you want to talk then talk, if you dont then dont. But try to a chat with one person because you will help them not pick up the first drink today even if they have been sober for decades.

And enjoy it. Yep, enjoy it. You will hear far more laughter than sobbing and most tears are from mirth. Even if you dont laugh or smile yourself, take something from the fact that others still can. And people who much like you had to go to their first meeting.

For me the most two difficult things in AA are going to that first meeting and then learning to be honest with yourself. So get the first one out of the way and you are half way there !