Notices

Had relapse after 5 months

Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Had relapse after 5 months

Feeling very bad, had a drink yesterday ended up with husband taking my daughter away to his mums, me wanting to go to my dads who i hate, he took my purse and locked me in the house calling my boss who is the only person i listen to and ended up sleeping at there house they said i was too unstable to be my own, home now but feeling like death, never want to drink hate feeling like this why do we do it, its horrible scared my daughter to death will i be able to repair what i have done, have sent text asking to come home.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Donnaw,
5 months is a great achievment , no one can take that away from you . You fell off the sober bike ... there is no reason to call a halt to the whole sober journey because of that.

get yourself back on and only look back to see if there is something useful to learn about how you ended up falling off .

Kids are very tough and accepting , i'm sure your daughter loves you very much .

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are here, and will feel ether soon.

Change is possible, hang in there.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! As you're discovered, sometimes sobriety is a journey, not just a destination. You may have stumbled and fallen, but you haven't failed unless you've quit trying. Hopefully you can learn from your mistakes and renew your commitment to staying sober.

Glad to see you here, btw!
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you, just had husband back to to talk promised never again, and i mean it, why did i let it happen thought could handle one but head told me to carry on, they was right at my meetings we cant do half way we have to mess up fully, today will not drink and go to meeting. He said will be back tonight with my daughter. THANK YOU GOD proved i am alcholic and will not let it control my and ruin my life.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Five months is an awesome achievement and I know you can do it again!

Don't throw in the towel because of a little slip, let it motivate you to put into action the program of AA or whatever fellowship you feel is for you.

My only recommendation, and take it or leave it, is to take that action now and get a sponsor and start with the steps.You are right that god will help you do what you cannot do for yourself but you have a part in that which is doing the steps so you can develop a conscious contact with god.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SullyS View Post
Five months is an awesome achievement and I know you can do it again!

Don't throw in the towel because of a little slip, let it motivate you to put into action the program of AA or whatever fellowship you feel is for you.

My only recommendation, and take it or leave it, is to take that action now and get a sponsor and start with the steps.You are right that god will help you do what you cannot do for yourself but you have a part in that which is doing the steps so you can develop a conscious contact with god.
While I agree with Sully, I don't believe there is any such thing as a little slip; once one has a relapse, it is a big wakeup call that there may be many more out there. How I wish I had stayed sober that very first time.

I have had, inn the 38 years since I have been dealing with my addiction, more relapses than I can count followed by thankfully, lots of sobriety. BUT this last relapse 3 months ago caused disasters I could only have imagined in my life. I am on my 11th day back, but this will be a journey for me without a doubt. Complacency has always been my enemy; I am putting my all into this recovery (mostly through AA) but also using SMART and everything else...

I am glad for you having a sober day today!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
While I agree with Sully, I don't believe there is any such thing as a little slip; once one has a relapse, it is a big wakeup call that there may be many more out there. How I wish I had stayed sober that very first time.
I agree that every relapse is serious when we are dealing with alcoholism/addiction. Relapse for an alcoholic/addict like myself can mean death and that is not to be taken lightly AT ALL.

What I was trying to point out is that the relapse is now in the past and and harping on it and letting it keep you down is counter productive.

The past is over with and you can do nothing to change it so accept it and take the recommended course of action if you truly want to get sober.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Trying to be positive, tried to call my sponsor (phone off) should of rang yesterday got bad shakes now remember back when i drank was not this bad. Another sign not to drink, started my steps too on step 4 but finding hard to open up hate the past.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do i need to change sobriety date now
Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Donna,
Glad you're going to a meeting today, were able to talk with your husband and your daughter will be home tonight. Try and take a nice shower, have something light to eat and rest before your meeting. Let us know how you're feeling after your meeting - stick with us
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Donna -

Congratulations on 5 months! Great accomplishment. I'm sorry you relapsed, but that doesn't mean your sobriety journey needs to end. Refocus your attention now, reflect and learn from the events that led to your first drink so that you can do better next time.

This is only MY opinion, OK? So I hope you don't take offense. I'm also an AA'er. Sometimes I think they focus too much attention on the amount of sobriety. For me, I put so much stress on myself to get that 1 month chip, 3 month chip, etc.....that I forgot why I wanted a sober life.

I stopped focusing on anything but today. That's it. So long as I take it one day at a time I'm at peace.

Stay sober today. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Big cyber-hug to you. I know you can do it.