Notices

Shakes and Seiures

Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shakes and Seiures

I doing well, but starting drinking again on my birthday. Sor nearly 4 weeks I was bad, drinking 1 bottle of wine a night. I quit yesterday and by end of the day I was shaking. I've had seizures before, but never shakes. My current had tremors are bad. That and insomnia. My BP was 140/105 at it's worst Now it
it's 130/100. I eat a of fruit and vegetables. Has anyone else the experience of hand tremors, how like they lasted, and how long it took to make them go away? THanks. I'm hour 36 about half way through day 2.

Last edited by MeetJohnDoe; 02-23-2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Add info about how many hours since last drink
Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for the typos. That's what the tremors are doing to.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My tremors lasted about 3 days but got weaker and weaker as each day passed. I still get them occasionally after 4 weeks. If you are really concerned and have a history of seizures, I urge you to get yourself to the ER ASAP.

Thinking of you

RQ
Old 02-23-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi John, ive got the shakes pretty bad today, had last drink last night, and its crazy cause the one thing thaat i know will stop the shakes is the one thing thats got me into the state i am in- ALCOHOL. Shakes normally go for me after three days. Hope your feeling better soon.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Both of you, please drink lots of water and/or Gatorade!!!

It is IMPERATIVE to keep yourself hydrated since alcohol does dehydrate you,
dehydration can also cause tremors.

If either of you get any worse, please go to the ER. It does not matter how many
times you have tried withdrawal before, you never know what this one will be like
and withdrawal from alcohol can be deadly.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back guys.

What Laurie says is spot on.

I detoxed many hundreds of times with no apparent ill effect - the last time I suffered a series of mini strokes.

You just never know.

Don't reject the idea of medical help - it may save both you guys a lot of trouble.

Last edited by Dee74; 02-23-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, 1stepup. Hope you feeling better too soon.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

its crazy cause the one thing that i know will stop the shakes is the one thing thats got me into the state i am in- ALCOHOL.

In AA when they talk about being restored to sanity, for me this hits home.

I've drank in the morning to stop shaking. The shaking was caused by drinking the night before. Taking more of the poison to stop the ill effects which are caused by the poison in the first place, is insane!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Laurie thanks for the tip. I took a lot of Benedryl on Day 1 and must have compounded the problem. I trank over a gallon of water yesterday, and it apparently wasn't enough to counter the B.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee, I began detox in, Worse it for the Kindling Effect -- even with less alcohol. It's good others knows what I earned the hard way.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I made myself some very healthy food today so far, natural sources of magnesium and potassium (kidney beans and bananas) as well as folate (beets and orange juice), all of which I hope will alleviate the pressure on my brain/CNS. I know the last time I had seizure, I was malnourished, and was told as much. After these two meals, my tremor has mostly subsided, but I know things can change. Been writing a lot today (for myself) and the words / letters I expect don't always come out right. But if I go slowly, and look at the keyboard more than I usually do, maybe my brain is starting to come around. Don't know. Time will tell.
P.S. i make to dinnner it will be spinach/avacado/lean chicken. It's neem a good part of my badness, but the alcohol I'm sapped a lot of the nutrients of out it.

P.P.S. and more beets for folate.