Notices

feeling alone in this fight

Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling alone in this fight

This is my first post--I'm a bit nervous about posting. I am 60 days sober today and having one of the hardest nights I've had. I'm home alone with bottles of wine, liquor and beer (all my husband's) and it would be so easy just to go open one. It's taking all my will power not to.
It seems that all the people I have spent time with for the last 20 years are drinkers... it's all I know how to do in the evenings. I can't imagine each day without alcohol, yet I have been managing somehow. Some nights I feel I just can't do it like there is some magical answer to what I'm supposed to be doing on a Friday night that could possibly take the place of drinking but I haven't figured it out yet. I feel lost without alcohol. What else should I be doing? I don't think I'm AA material, but I know I need more help.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome LFB
You're definitely not alone now

look around and read and post as much as you like.

Why not join our Class of February thread for everyone trying to stop this month?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-9.html

D
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey littlefruitbat. Welcome to SR. Dee's link is a super great place to post and there are so many different forums and threads you can join in on and post questions, thoughts, etc.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome, LittleFruitBat. Awesome on going 60 days! You came to the right place to find people who know what you're going through.

Look around the forums - lots of answers. You'll find yours.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 60 days sober! That's great!

I know it's hard to find your footing, but it sounds like you're doing well.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, just keep going through different threads here and you will meet other people who are in similar situations. We will all help go through this journey. Here you are free to pour out your heart and no one will judge you.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Congrats on 60 days! I only made it to 20-something then picked up again, now on day 3.

Keep going for 61 days, you will feel much better for it tomorrow!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family. You never have to feel alone - we all know what you're going through. I think you'll find comfort in reading the posts and sharing your feelings with us.

It's still early days yet - even though 60 is great. You're still making a huge adjustment and learning to live in a new way. I felt like an alien the first couple of months - I'd been dependent on alcohol to handle all my emotions. You'll find it gets easier as you go along, & you'll find hope and happiness again. Maybe trying AA would be a good thing for you - there's nothing to lose by trying a meeting.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Littlefruitbat, 60 days? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We are only a month apart and I can so relate to where you are at Littlefruitbat! I'm also trying to figure out what to do with myself. I'm pretty lost. It's fairly easy for me to point other people in a direction but when it comes to me I'm lost. What to do on a Friday night is a mystery. I'm not AA either. I check out this site frequently, do a lot of reading/research, I'm slightly crafty so I work on that. I am going to try to branch out and explore a few towns/cities around me I haven't been too in awhile. I may even try to hit a movie theater. At least I'm not drunk and lost in my blackout stage that I would surely be at this point in my usual Friday night ventures when I was actively drinking!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the words of encouragement. It really does help hearing from people who understand how hard this is--helped me make it through another night. Congratulations to all you who have made it and those who are still trying.
As for me... it's 10:52...almost time for another notch in my staying sober bedpost followed a hangover free morning. Whew!
Goodnight and thanks again for the kind words and advice.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on #60, I myself just started. I'm only at #19 tonight,sitting here alone on a friday night. All my friend's are out drinking. I just feel like I've basically I've run my course in the time frame my body could handle it. It's like everyone's body can only have so much liquor in a lifetime. I've just hit it before everyone I know. Figure eventually my friend's will hit that limit...I never thought of drinking as a problem. I just flat out like to do it. It just got to the point where i would drink until the cow's came home, then they got tired of waiting for me to stop and they left...But, I'm running into issues with my esophagus and recently was told by my Doctor that I need to stop, like yesterday. So far, on a daily basis, I just do the little thing's that I always "say" I would like to do...
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope it's going well today, littlefruitbat. Thinking of you.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LittleFruitBat: I hope you ended your night well and are doing okay today. You did the right thing by coming here for support.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Being on this forum was exactly what I needed last night. Made it through and enjoyed a productive morning as a result. I have been feeling misunderstood by my husband, family and friends. It is nice to have found a place where I can say what I need to say and feel like people will be empathic and non-judgmental.
Thank you!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you found us, lfb. I think most people, even some heavy drinkers, have trouble understanding addiction. They just don't get why for me, booze is an all-or-nothing proposition. I don't blame them; I wouldn't understand if I hadn't been through it myself.

SR was a revelation to me; discovering so many people had been through similar experiences. Also great to see how many folks are able to recover—congrats on 61 days!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're not alone littlefruitbat. I am in the middle of my 8th month and come here to read threads and post quite often. We all have questions and hard times - we can help you get through both!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on Day 61! You will get sooo much support here. The people here are great!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Isn't it amazing that you found this place right when you needed it! It happened to me the same way and they pulled me through many nights of temptations and now almost 5 years later I find I'm drawn back. A great place and glad you made it here. Congratulations on our sobriety.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome littlefruitbat! 61 days, something to be proud of!! There's nothing quite like a hangover-free morning!!