Notices

Hi

Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

I'm posting in this section of newcomers because I have just returned after a long absence from SR and feel as though I've tried to come back to a place that has changed so much or is it I who have changed?

Some of my changes I am good with. I started a business and am working from home. Good. I am trying to get my child into a counseling situation and am almost there as he has OCD. Good. I found myself looking judgmentally at a person that showed up to tap some trees for maple syrup today. Bad!! He was extremely inebriated to the point of not being able to stand up straight. I actually looked at him through a disconnect. How dare I!

Where did that judgment come from? It came from leaving a place that reminded me everyday that my struggle is the same as his and that just because I'm sober today does not make me better then someone who isn't. It makes me a person that should reach out and help another. When did I turn into such a selfish person or have I always been? That's a question I'm afraid to answer because I believe the answer is always.

Well if anyone needs my help I will try to be there for you. I would like to set up my board so I'm alerted via my email so when someone messages me I know right away. I'm also willing to give my email to anyone that needs help and feels that I can proide some. I feel bad that 2 friends have passed away on here and I had no idea and probably wouldn't have if it were not for another friend that emails back and forth with me. This is through no one's fault but my own.

When you get sober and you will because I did and so that is proof that anyone can, keep the door open and keep your hand extended to the person that is behind you because in the end we want all our sisters and brothers beside us. I had a friend from high school the other day say that she knew I was an alcoholic back in high school. I was shocked. I have very few memories from 11th grade on and as that's when my 'affair' with alcohol began. I stopped because of SR in 2008. I'm 46 years old and I drank heavily for 25 years. I would not be sober if it were not for the people here. Carol (whom I will miss beyond words), SoosieQ (RIP darlin) , Dee (still here thank God, although I knew he would be), Joanie, Colagirl, and many, many others. Hold tight to the ones that move you and inspire you and who tell you what you don't want to hear, but need to hear. It does get better. Seriously. It does get better.

Just read my tag line. Maybe I should live that tag line instead of wearing it.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you around again S

D
Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thanks Horselover!

I have not been here very long at SR, but I have seen several newcomers seeking on-line "sponsorship." I hope you stick around awhile.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dee and thanks Coldfusion. That's a great idea! I would love to sponsor someone, but I think first I need to take a seat and observe the wise ones around here for awhile. Been out of the helping arena too long.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad to see you back my friend! You were missed.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Horselover, I knew you from back then too and I'm back as well. Yeah, I also was away for a while, I was thrilled to see Dee again.

It's good that you are able to look at yourself and see things for what they are, that's a great strength to keep. We can only keep improving when we can honestly look at ourselves and go "okay, I need to work on this..." Good to see you!!