Notices

A Pint....

Old 02-21-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Pint....

Yesterday I found out that my sweet 19 yr old kitty has gone blind (among a myriad of other health issues) and the vet has told me that if she doesnt show any improvement in the next 2 weeks that we've done all we can and our only other option will be to let her go.

Driving home from the vet yesterday was the first time in the last 4 months since getting sober that I had the overwhelming desire..need to drink. It was a struggle not to stop at the liquor store. As I was waiting at a red light the flashing sign from the liquor store was like a beacon serving as a calling..or a warning.

Instead of a pint of Vodka which I surely wouldve stopped for 4 months ago..I opted for a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream. I ate the entire thing in one sitting and even shared a little with my kitty.

I feel a little bloaty today but its much better than a hangover and I'm glad I've been able to spend the last few months with my kitty with a clear head instead of drunk and not paying any attention to her.

Thank you SR for listening
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had to put my Jinx down when she was 19; 19 is reallly old for a cat. We've both been lucky to have such a wonderful cat in our lives for so long! I love the fact that you staying sober to spend quality time with her. She is lucky to have you
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry about your news, but I'm glad you made the right decision today HZ

D
Old 02-21-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Halzuzu - Way to go!!!!! I am so sorry to hear about your cat. We lost our 18 yer old Whiskers on my 50th birthday. She just layed down under a bench in our living room and did not wake up. I ended up drinking 2/3 of a fifth of Jack Daniels and passing out in my clothes at 5PM which pretty much wrecked my birthday celbration with the family. Duh! Why do we do these self destructive things?

Several years later, I stood at my mothers bedside as she passed away. I also handled that by drinking. I was no help to my Dad or anyone else during this time and did not really begin to grieve until I had to go back to work and was sober again.

I am praying and looking forward to facing strong emotions sober.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thank you for sharing, Halzulu.

I understand so well what you are talking about. I have known my wife for thirty years, but did not know she was the right one for me. We both had spouses who died, and of course many pets have come and gone. My wife and I always liked each other, and would share our experiences, strength, and hope. But we never knew we would spend our lives together until eight years ago. We shared the trauma of our past, and found support. We knew we would go through the hell of addiction. But the thing that brought us together was the same miracle that happened to you: mint chocolate chip. It is the favorite flavor of both of us.

We lost a kitty last year, while we were still drinking. We knew our addiction and its trauma shortened the poor cat's life. I am so happy now that we are sober and share so much love, and our cat is happy too. Make every moment precious!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for sharing and your words of support. This will be the first major life event that I will face in sobriety. But with SR, meetings, friends and family (most of whom are also in recovery) that I can reach out to, AND many pints of ice cream..I am positive that I will make it through
Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A pint of ice cream is better than a pint of booze.

We lost our oldest cat a couple of years ago at the age of 17. He was my daughters cat since she was a toddler and she was away at college when he passed. Kind of sad. A few months later a stray showed up on our back porch who could have been his twin. This stray has adopted us. He's now been here two years, and my daughter just adores him.

You know the expression, "one door closes and another door opens . . . "
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Halzuzu, I'm sorry for the bad news you got from the vet - but very proud of the way you handled it. I knew I was going to make it when I no longer turned to alcohol as a way to feel better about things. It never really worked. The numbness wears off and then we feel twice as bad - plus, we need to deal with our emotions and stay clearheaded to face these things.

Glad you came here to talk about it. Ice cream is a very nice pacifier.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
BCS

I'm very sorry to hear this. It sounds like your story hits close to home for many of us. Good job handling youself in the best way possible. Take care of your girl and show her all the love you have to give her. It's the best thing you can do. Hang in there.