Notices

Angela's Accountability - February 21/13

Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angela's Accountability - February 21/13

Good morning everyone!

So although since I started this plan to posts every morning, I haven't stopped drinking entirely - I have been drinking much less than usual and I wake up with the hope that 'today will be the day'

My plan for today is to use a trick I used to quit smoking many years ago. When I have a craving for a drink, set my timer for 10 minutes. I will not pour a drink for that 10 mins, maybe have a glass of water. When the 10 mins is up, the craving should have passed!
Does anyone else use their 'quit smoking' tricks to help them quit drinking?

Otherwise, I will be volunteering tonight after work and when I get home, I have about two loads of laundry to do so I should be busy. I'm also reading a decent book so I actually want to pick it up

Ill let you all know tonight how it goes!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jules

You can do it Angela! I can't say I used any stop smoking tricks to help me quit drinking but mine was a gradual process. Some people "get it" right away and stop on the spot, others of us don't. I started cutting down on my drinking and tried various approaches to recovery. Alot of what helped me is what they say "playing the tape all the way through". I know I've had the urge to drink for whatever reason. But to think about why I want to drink and what is going to happen if I do. Like I will start drinking, it will feel good for just a little bit, I will want more and more and more until it starts to feel crappy, I will basicaly drink everything I have until I pass out and then I will wake up feeling depressed, hopeless and so mad at myself for doing the same thing again.

A lot of it is breaking that cycle. If I pick up today then chances are I will have the urges tomorrow. If I flip my drinking switch its hard to turn it back off, until I'm sick and miserable and just can't do it anymore. Then repeat the cycle.

Its amazing how good it feels to wake-up without a hangover. You can do this. Some of us just have to take some time and learn the skills to deal with the problem. Your doing great!!!
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Jules! I appreciate your comment in knowing its ok I'm not able to go cold turkey quite yet! I need to find what works for me and what will 'switch' it off like you said.