Notices

Greetings

Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hoping

Exclamation Greetings

Greetings users. As you may know I am new on this site and came here because I wanted to get involved with a community of people like myself that I can support and also receive support from.

I've had a history with alcohol abuse. My mother and father were both alcoholics and my mother still is. I am 21 years old and have married the girl of my dreams. I quit drinking when I met her in Australia, we now live in Japan but when she left I started drinking. I finally moved over but due to the temptation of cheap alcohol here I have been drinking regularly.

I have recently been getting out of control with my drinking and damaging my house and my reputation with my neighbors. Enough is enough so now I want to make a stand against my addiction.

If you have any tips for me on how to tackle this...please feel free to send a message or comment.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hellsvien

SR certainly changed the game for me. It meant the world to know I wasn't alone, & that I had people who understood and to be accountable too.

You'll find a lot of support here, and a few ideas too - feel free to read and post as much as you like
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Hellsvien

I know the drinking culture in Japan is pretty full on but there are plenty of ways to recover. Have you looked into anything like AA or SMART recovery before? If you are not a meeting type person then SR can be a huge help as can methods like AVRT...

Glad you are here x
Old 02-22-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome. You've found a great place. Lots of us are recovering through different means. I hope you find one that works for you, and feel free to post as often as you like.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hoping

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you for all your comments. I felt a massive relief when I came here to this site. Drinking beers does not really affect me much. The problem seems to be spirits. As embarrassing as it is to admit...I go super strange when drinking spirits...this embarrasses me a lot. Any tips on what to do when you feel that super strong temptation to drink? For example: wife is at work for a 16 hour shift, you have the weekend...and no plans. Drinking a few beers or anything is out of the question as I cannot limit my drinks...anyone got some tips?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
now's the time

I'm in a similar boat... I'm unemployed. TONS of time to drink! And oh, how I took advantage of that for a little while.

I'm now at 11 days sober and for the beginning I've just been allowing myself to do pretty much whatever I want as long as it's not drinking. I've watched I think three entire TV shows... premier to finale... a bunch of movies... I downloaded some computer games... just mindless entertainment to take my mind off of it. On days that I feel better/more motivated I ride my bike or take walks. Also having lots of snacks and tea on hand is very helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hoping

Thumbs up Reply to "fantail"

Hey bro. Thank you for your reply. I was actually at my worst when I was unemployed as well. I am now working which is awesome. The tips you gave me about snacks and tea sounded good. I'm into pc games and recently bought some which have been keeping me entertained. I'll be buying some green tea and snacks today after work! Good idea! Also I've just quit smoking so I will also take your advice on the bike thing. I've got a nice bike trail near my house here, I guess I could also get into some exercise again too!

Thanks again!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
now's the time

You can do it! *toasts with mug of tea*
Old 02-25-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hoping

Thumbs up Green tea for me!

Cheers Fantail! Thanks for your support! I bought loads of snacks now!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Hellsvien, it's great that you're catching it at your age, before you've progressed any further. You'll look back on it as the best decision you ever made.
I walked a lot, drank really nice juice, ate sweet things, changed my routine, breathed deeply when the cravings hit, avoided drinking occasions for a while, got the support of my doctor. It wasn't so hard once I had decided, but almost impossible before then.
You go for it!