Notices

Why I dig AA?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why I dig AA?

Other than saving my life here are more reasons why I dig AA meetings . And reasons I hope it gives you hope . I dig SR too!

AA provides a haven for the truly down and out who often have no place else to spend a an hour or so of their day .

You can even go to an AA meeting in jail .

What you do for a living doesn't matter to anyone in AA .No one is put on a pedestal .

Nobody is in charge . Our leaders are but trusted servants .

It allows fellowship amongst folks with similar problems and similar outlooks on life .

People can fairly easily get back a sense of self worth and self importance through service work if they are willing .

Making coffee in AA is a highly respectable job .

AA provides a sounding board for those who may feel they have been forgotten by the rest of the world . I know I felt forgotten for awhile .

It can help people with their social skills, public speaking skills and relationships can and are developed .

AA gives us simple problem solving skills like prayer, The Big Book with all it's wisdom and guidance from others which are easy enough solutions for me .

It provides a real escape for people who are facing real life problems such as unemployement, poverty, sadness. It takes us out of ourselves if only for an hour .

AA only has one requirement for membership, a desire to stop drinking, any and all are welcome into it's rooms .

In AA we can identify with others like ourselves and it provides a measure of hope .

We find a a place of acceptance which is almost surreal .

We hear people speak from their hearts about their flaws openly and honestly .

We are not judged, in fact no one even bat's an eyelash when we talk about the terrible things we did .

AA offers a place of refuge for those who feel hopeless and have no where else to go .

We can choose whatever conception of God we like .

You can not be kicked out of AA. Even if you leave . You are always welcome back .

I don't have to be a rocket scientist to approach and apply the steps to my life, just willing .

All the coffee you can drink and sometimes some donuts too!!

It provides a social outlet with monthly gatherings such as dances, picnics, softball games without the temptation to drink .

It taught me how to smile again .

It helps me stay away from a drink one day at a time .

I gave everything away to alcohol and AA gave me back myself .

I really did find hope and that was just the beginning .
whoah dizzy
Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a keeper.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not a Big Book thumper by any stretch of the imagination, but over the decades, I've never seen anyone kicked out of a meeting, so I always know that whatever my circumstances, I'll be welcome. It's nice to know that such a place exists. I'm not a coffee fan, but there might even be some free cookies. Even pizza at the last meeting I attended.

Free pizza. That's pretty awesome. All for a buck. Well not totally free, but if you can you should contribute a buck. That's usually what most folks do. It's a small price to pay for the respite from solitary living.

It's the lack of human contact that makes us sicker. Or at least in my case, because I'm not a bar or party goer. Just a solitary drinker. But you can still feel alone in a group of people. I've had the desire to walk out of a social event to drink by myself. And actually I've done it, with no explanation. Just bailed. I guess I preferred to be alone.

I like people, but perhaps I feel uncomfortable in my own skin and the rambunctious activity at parties is not my preference.

Just to let everyone know, I had a workmate who didn't drink, and at Xmas parties he said so. No one gave it a second thought. They didn't even notice. No one ever questioned him about why he didn't drink. It was a non issue. To this day I don't know why he doesn't drink. I figured, 'good for you' and never thought to ask. No one ever asked either or even brought it up in conversation.

But I know that everyone's circumstances are different. I've never had anyone ask, "why aren't you drinking?"
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're weird, but I continue to like you. Your ruminations hit the spot.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I "dig" AA because if you are an alcoholic as described in AA's "HOW IT WORKS" (as I am) then Alcoholics Anonymous is the answer.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA is a good place, it may not work for alot of peeps, but I have seen the results for those who have stuck with it.

Me? I utilize alot of different strategies: AA, ME as in Myself, and God/Prayer. Candy helps, though I can't remember her last name! lol! J/K! Seriously: sugars, vitamins and a good workout take your mind off of anything. Just don't try and replace one thing with another, that would be disaster for me.

I have two Sponsors. One is at the meeting most everynight, the other is far away in another city (she rocks).

When I get anxious/mad, I do pushups. Endorphines!

I keep telling myself to stay calm and take my time. I have always rushed into situations with bad results (drunk or sober).

I am working on step two. But I have found the tranquility I have been looking for just by admitting that I have a problem. That is the BIGGEST step.

Will I get through all 12? That remains to be seen. So far I have been pleased with the results. That is all I have. God speed.