Notices

Disaster at Work

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BCS

Disaster at Work

Today was a rough day.. really rough. Now all I can think about is getting out of here and getting my hands on something to lighten my mood. That or just crawl in a hole and hide for the rest of the week. I could really use some encouraging words right now...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi BCS,

Somebody else here is complaining about their job today, and all I can say is you're lucky to have a job.

Stay sober and keep on truckin'...
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey BCS, hang in there mate. I reached out for the drink last night after a bad work day. Believe me I felt worse at work today for lightening the mood. One day at a time my friend
Old 02-19-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BCS

Thanks,

Yes.. I feel gratefuk to have a job. BUT I don't think work related disasters and early recovery mesh very well at all.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Els

I had a bad day at work about a month an a half ago, and the last thing I told my boss was I hate this place and a few choice words, I quit before I got fired, all over the fact I got mad and told a guest at the shelter I worked at, to take it somewhere else,

I found out this past week that he agreed with me, and I had over reated, sometimes its best to face the issue head on and get it out of the way... or step back breath and then reapoch it.. not sure if that helps but
take it one moment at a time, and reach out to someone,
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

BCS - bad days at work are the reason they pay us to do our jobs. Granted, some days are worse than others. There are a myriad of things you can do to wind down when you leave, and only one of them will make you regret it tomorrow...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BCS

All very true comments. I appriciate the thoughtfulness. To make a long story short, I work in a kitchen that is shared by a couple other groups. When I came in this morning I saw that someone had unplugged the roaster I was using for todays meal. The meat was ruined and had to scramble to find an alternative meal for 70 people. Super stressfull. I actually already feel a little better after venting on here. I honestly owe a lot of my progress to SR. Thanks to everyone who listens and shares encouragment.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Stick in there BCS. We're thinking of you and maybe even going through the very same. Tomorrow is another day.
Greenfield
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just take a deep breath - you will get through it
Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey BCS

The good thing about bad days in recovery is they stay bad days - they don't become bad weeks or bad months.

Hope tomorrow is a better day for you

D
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
bad days at work are the reason they pay us to do our jobs.
This is a very good point and I never thought of that before, so thanks!

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
BThere are a myriad of things you can do to wind down when you leave, and only one of them will make you regret it tomorrow...
Care to share some suggestions?

I struggle with this too. I feel the pressure building up all day so I can hardly focus and without booze and pills to take the edge off, I'm not sure what else do to. I've been going to bed earlier so I can get up earlier and take a walk. I feel safer at 6am than I am at 9pm.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post

This is a very good point and I never thought of that before, so thanks!

Care to share some suggestions?

I struggle with this too. I feel the pressure building up all day so I can hardly focus and without booze and pills to take the edge off, I'm not sure what else do to. I've been going to bed earlier so I can get up earlier and take a walk. I feel safer at 6am than I am at 9pm.
Some ideas:
Anything physical- a walk or a run or a trip to the gym.
The sauna at the gym is my new favorite place. I can block the world out there and it's so easy to clear my brain.
Stretching
Have you ever meditated?
Stress relief excercises for the brain - I like the bear one. Will see if I can find it and post it.
Watch a clock with a minute hand for one minute, focusing on nothing but the moving of the hand while breathing deeply. After one minute things tend to look different.
Hot shower or bath.
Put on your favorite high energy song and dance around like a crazy person.
For me- vacuum! I love it lately for some crazy reason.
Mom's favorite- do a good deed for someone that needs it.
Go to the grocery and smile brightly at everyone you see. Smile like you never had a problem in the world. Or like a a complete goofball. There is at least one person that it will help greatly (besides yourself). There is scientific evidence that smiling actually improves your mood.

Or try Melody Beatty's miracle maker.
Make a list titled "I am grateful" and write down all the bad stuff you dealt with today. You can put the good stuff, too. It sounds crazy but boy does this work for me when I do it daily.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jimuk said he felt worse at work for 'lightening the mood' after a bad day. So true! It doesn't do for us what we expect it to. It only adds to our misery. Glad it helped to come here and complain.