Notices

Sugar sugar sugar

Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sugar sugar sugar

Daaaaaaamn I've been craving sugar like crazy.... Soda candy coffee candy oh did I say candy... Someone told me its because me all the beer and alcohol I drank was high in carbs and that carbs turn to sugar when broken down in the body.... I guess this is part of my recovery process today is day 9 I'm feeling good today...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i struggle with sugar cravings too, and i RARELY ate sweets while i was drinking. it's normal...best wishes!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup...same with my sugar cravings. Things have gotten better now at almost 90 days with those cravings. I'm trying to find healthier options such as low-sugar options or dried fruit. It does help though to eat something sweet when I'm hit with a drinking crave!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I had the same problem. I had to start buying nuts and lower fat snacks to curb the cravings and not eat the sugary treats. Alcohol is high in sugar and you are likely noticing the lack of.
Good for you on your 9 days of sobriety!!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Yup normal..

For me the sweet cravings faded but didnt go away, so after months I had to start to watch it a little. LOl

Best wishes congrats on 9 days..
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

OMG yes captain crunch berries, snickers ice cream bars, yogurt stars from trader joes. Its crazy how strong the cravings for sugar can be.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

food, in general, turns into sugars when digested......

alcohol is a form of sugar.

it's best to eat well than to indulge in too much sugar....our body creates energy by breaking sugar down as opposed to eating pure sugar and having nothing to break down as it turns to fats and stuff....

yes! my sweet tooth is alive and well today! Try to eat other good foods to balance everything out!!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Imhere2today, day 9? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.

Recent research has conveyed that sugar may be just as addictive as heroine. If you consider yourself a recovering alcoholic, a functional alcoholic, or just a heavy drinker who has always struggled with occasional alcohol abuse, you may want to look at the possibility that you may actually be addicted to sugar.

Most people don't realize that alcohol is actually the quickest acting sugar on the brain. In short, a "buzz" is actually a sugar high. The first research on sugar addiction in 2001 was conducted at Princeton University, and scientists have come so far since then that research is now focusing on how to address the problem (not whether or not it exists).

Sugar tends to affect the same part of the brain that heroine, cocaine, and other hard drugs do when a person uses them. The two main neurotransmitters involved with sugar addiction are serotonin and beta endorphins. We think of serotonin as the depression hormone, but it's also responsible for concentration, attention, and impulse control. When your serotonin levels are lower, you may become less able to say "no." Beta endorphins are that feel good chemical that is released after exercise, but this neurotransmitter is also associated with self esteem. Those with lower levels of beta endorphins who have excellent insight and are well accomplished might still have great difficulty with self esteem.

Sugar tends to increase both of these important neurotransmitters, thereby altering the brain's biochemistry and correcting the deficiencies that may have been there. In other words, there are many people who are self medicating for specific deficiencies with sugar, and they are likely addicted to sugary foods for this reason. Even sugar replacements such as Splenda tend to trigger cravings for sweet foods, thereby feeding the sugar addiction.

Article Source: Alcohol Abuse Or Sugar Addiction? Understanding the Link Between Alcoholism and Sugar
Old 02-19-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Wow, I think this is the third or fourth sugar-based thread I have read today...my lucky day

Never had a sweet tooth until I stopped drinking, then it was an avalanche! I ate sugar like it was the cure for alcoholism I have stopped now cold turkey, two months, and I do feel better. But at day 9, there was NO way someone was stopping me from getting a hold of my sweets.

Researching sugar and it's effects has been eye opening - it's as toxic a thing as you can find. I am with neferkamichael on this - they have scanned people with MRI's and they have found that sugar hits the same places that heroin, etc. hits in the brain. I have avoided even artificial sweeteners as well. I do crave the sweet stuff (cinnamon buns are the newest cravings) but so far so good.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A night never goes by that I dont think of going down to the nightstore and
getting Ben and jerry's chocolate fudge brownie.
I have managed to kick allot of bad habits, but I get severe cravings for that 1 ice cream like a drug, lol nothing else just that 1 specific Ben and Jerry's flavor
Its sinister.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In the early days, it was recommended I eat ice cream as it can help cravings, which it weirdly did!!! I find the first month, just do whatever it takes really. Afterwards you can start finding new ways to deal with it. I've started eating more fruit which curbs my sugar cravings, and making sure I eat proper meals at certain times. Also make sure you have a healthy sleeping pattern, a good nights rest makes a world of difference sometimes!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I approach sugar as a temporary replacement.. I think I also will continue to indulge through day 9 but it's similar to my opinion of nicorette, you're just masking the symptoms and not really solving the problem. My understanding is an alcoholic's metabolism is what needs fixing (in addition to brain chemistry issues that are a result of heavy drinking). Continuing to feed the same metabolism problems with high doses of sugar means you won't be drinking, but the chemistry of your body will never get fixed and you'll still be an alcoholic. Like a smoker with the patch.

Not an expert by any means but this is my understanding. On only day 2 of quitting again and I'm not being so strict, I think last time the complete focus on blood sugar distracted me from the first, simple goal, to stop drinking alcohol.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been eating so much sugar and sugary drinks! And this thread has made me want ice cream haha. But yeah, not healthy. By I'm focusing everything on not drinking for the moment, so bring on the chocolate and the other changes can come later. Especially cigarettes!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As I look on the counter I see mangos, kiwis, oranges, apples and grapefruit. I've significantly altered my eating habits this week for certain. I guess I'd prefer to get my sugars as naturally as possible. It helps quite a bit but the checkout people look at you kind of funny when you get $30 worth of fruit.