Notices

Celebrity Rehab, 5th death in 2 years.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrity Rehab, 5th death in 2 years.

McCready is fifth 'Celebrity Rehab' cast member to die in two years.

McCready is fifth 'Celebrity Rehab' cast member to die in two years – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

I know there has been at least one other post about McCready, but I just wanted to add this for what Dr. Drew had to say.
"One of my hopes in bringing Celebrity Rehab out, was to teach people how dangerous addiction really was. If I was doing a show on cancer, there would not be much surprise when my cancer patients died... People don't understand that addiction has virtually the same prognosis."

Very true Dr. drew!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So sad. I remember this guy from Taxi and Grease. : 'Grease' actor Jeff Conaway has died - CNN.com
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Celeb Rehab was the most exploitative show on TV; with the possible exception of the Maury Povich paternity tests.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I enjoyed watching and learned from the show. I had never seen someone have a seizure from alcohol withdrawal before. It really opened my eyes as to what could happen to me.

It was a documentary. People signed up that wanted help, and some fell victim to the disease.

It happens everyday, only this was more high profile.

I am glad Dr. Drew's Celebrity Rehab, as well as the shows Intervention and Addicted finally show the public how bad alcoholism and drug addiction is.

I think people want to hide it, but shows like this turn the light on, and hopefully wake some and save some.

Saying things like 5 people from the show died, or implying Dr. Drew couldn't save them puts blame on him, and I don't think that is fair.

This man devotes his life trying to help. I believe him to be genuine.

No human power can save us from alcoholism. Surely we cannot blame him, or judge his stats.

I don't want to be anyone's judge.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always took this show as just another "reality drama" show. Who are these celebrities? Dried up ol no limelight anymore hasbeens. Looking to get one more minute in their past grandeur. I don't think most of them were serious about recovery.

Now Intervention I find much more real. Real people, and a real documentary (as much as these can be).

I'm also not a fan of Dr. Drew. To me he is like Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil and all those others that seem to be a TV celebrity themselves.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jkb

KMT-
I was with you right up until you said Dr. Phil. I love the Dr. Phil show..lol. But I agree Intervention is a great show...jkb
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Addiction wants you dead but not before it destroys everything that value. It splits you off from the herd and then it kills you.

I have personally seen to much death to think this is an exaggeration.