Notices

Question/Help/Looking for your opinions...

Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question/Help/Looking for your opinions...

Hi,

I want to know if anyone has ever had a problem with ephedrine. I have found myself taking 15-20 pills at a time for the mood change and energy boost. I do this a couple of times per day and I have to go to many different pharmacies to support this behavior. If I don't take it I am so dead tired I could sleep for a full day...it's like I'm walking through 6 feet of mud. It makes me irritable and I think I'm an addict...but I didn't think this drug was dangerous..?? or am I wrong?? Should I go to NA or is this only for people who use harder drugs?? Thoughts? Opinions? Help....

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lojoe - welcome

I don't know much about it.

I expect long term or high volume use could bring problems tho - it's a stimulant, yeah?

Have you consulted a Dr?

D
Old 02-18-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is that still legal?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you talking about pseudoephedrine? The decongestant??

If so, we have to have a prescription for it because meth addicts were buying it and using it to make meth.

If it's same thing than yes, it is addictive in my opinion.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

The first thing you should do is go see your doctor. Taking that much can't be good for you.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can only say I used to use it a few years ago so I could drink even more. I guess it made sense then. I never used that much though so I can not say but it does seem like a lot considering 3 could sober me up at most points of drunkenness.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did several years ago when they were much cheaper & easier to get OTC in much higher doses.
I continued for a couple years & often would mix with excess alcohol.
I know they can be addictive. Do you use any other mood altering drugs?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your input so far. It is ephedrine hcl and ephedrine sulfate, found in OTC decongestants and formerly in diet supplements...though it was banned for that purpose at some point. You can get it over the counter but you have to ask the pharmacist for it and you can only get so much per month. I have also had problems with habitual marijuana use, but I never thought that was addictive so I figured it is safe...though now I'm thinking there may be something more going on with me. Thank you again for your opinions and input. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Joe, I think NA might be helpful. I go to a weekly meeting here.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes I have. It's not as bad as say adderall but addicting; and not so good. I say drop it.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Actually lojoe - that amount - your addicted. it's a problem. Just my opinion.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That is sort of what I was thinking but my denial was producing all sorts of rationalizations for me....it's not a hard drug...etc etc but my family has told me I haven't been myself lately - I think it's affecting my psychology/personality. I think if I did have access to harder drugs it would be a major problem. If anyone else has any opinion to offer, I greatly appreciate it...and thank you to all respondants so far.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The amount you're taking would kill most people. You must have built up a huge resistance. I believe the toxicity will stay the same even if the drug no longer has any effect on you, so I would address this problem now.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have taken this (in addition to everything else). I cut my dose in half for a few days, then even more. Your taking an extremely large quanity do consult your doc.

I felt like **** and had to sleep for several hours for several days but felt like a brand new person fairly quick.

Very important to drink lots of water and eat regular healthy meals throughout the day. Keep ther sugar and caffiene down. I had forgotton how much energy good food could do for me.

It's so worth it - You can do it!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I quit drinking for 6 years but used massive quantities of ephedrine. It was the worst of both worlds. What I really wanted was alcohol but the ephedrine kept my addiction alive and well. I rationalized by saying that it was an OTC drug so it was OK. Eventually I returned to drinking and almost killed myself.

A drug is a drug is a drug. Anything that alters my consciousnesses is off limits for me.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you and I am going to get help. My sister is recovering from Adderall addiction and has said that the quantities I am taking basically make it the same thing. I found out this stuff is used to make meth...so I guess I am a stimulant addict. (A meth addict waiting to happen) but this really sucks and I want to stop. I've stopped and started up again. I've spent money I don't have on this stuff. I can't believe it, but I am an addict. Thank you all for your input. I'm just nervous to go to NA...maybe they will think it's dumb that I got addicted to a drug that most people don't find to be a problem...I know people stuggle with way worse things than this...
Old 02-19-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Els

I would try and talk to your doc and try to go to an NA meeting, because this could be a start to something that can get out of control and cause you to hit that rock bottom that many of us have hit, give it a couple of times, and if you are wanting to get off it, have you tried detox? I personally never heard of it till i had already gone though the withdrawls but wish i had heard of it. Hope it helps. best fo luck and take it one day at a time,
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by lojoe View Post
That is sort of what I was thinking but my denial was producing all sorts of rationalizations for me....it's not a hard drug...etc etc but my family has told me I haven't been myself lately - I think it's affecting my psychology/personality.
The more I read, the more I feel NA would be helpful. The steps to recovery involve things like admitting you have a problem and reaching out to help others. "Honesty" and "generosity" are are just two of the "spiritual principles" that NA helps us to find.

People go to NA for all different drugs-alcohol, marijuana, prescription drugs, you name it. Please give NA a call to find a local meeting, and they may also have some tips on medical assistance.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I will check out NA and try not to compare myself to those who seem to qualify more as an addict than I do...though I do feel like I've hit an emotional/spiritual rock bottom...if that counts as a rock bottom. (I've also lost a lot of money and sleep to this habit). Thank you again.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

do a search on "ephedrine addiction," what do you see there?