Notices

So vain!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So vain!

Hello all, and a happy Monday to you!

This may sound silly in the larger scope of things, but today (day 5 for me) I am pretty irritated about the reflection that I see in the mirror. Wow, what this nightmare has done to me! I look at my face, and am so disappointed in myself. I know that this is minute in comparison to the damage I have done to my body, but geez, who is this old, tired person? And my eyes....ugh!!!! They are more bloodshot than ever! What's up with that? What a sad reminder of a terrible time.

Okay, like I said, maybe not the worst of my problems, but I hope to see someone I like in all ways looking back at me someday.

~Best to all today.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
You're not vain. It's pretty shocking to see the stark reality of what addiction can do. Your body's physical and emotional health, or lack thereof, is reflected through your physical appearance. When we abuse our bodies and minds, it shows. When we take care of ourselves, that also shows. Keep taking good care of yourself...without booze, in time what you see in the mirror will reflect health and happiness. Chin up
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Most of us clean up pretty good.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I sometimes feel like a hotel bell-hop when I look at myself first thing in the morning - all those bags!

“Nature gives you the face you have at twenty; it is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty.” ― Coco Chanel
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi mvgon, i know what you mean, day three for me and cant help wondering what id look like if id never touched a drop!

Oh well the only way is up!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I'm about 80 days and can't believe the difference in my appearance/face. Be patient!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

get a photo of that and just in a couple weeks you'll be looking so much better....I have an old family photo when under influence....eww not good

best to you.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Mvngon for posting this. I have also been looking in the mirror (sober) lately and thinking, "How do I look this bad and how long have I looked this way?"

Particularly my face. I have always had pretty awesome skin and now I see all the tiny blood vessels around my nose and on my cheeks and I am horrified. Spent most of the morning looking up dermatologists and cures.

It's encouraging to read that the appearance does improve after sustained sobriety because right now I am thinking of getting outfitted for a paper bag...
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have to chime on this one. I am one month 15 days sober (yeah)and one of the thousands reasons why I quit was my looks. It's funny I always was checking my face when I was drinking looking for the telltale signs. I always was like "not so bad" now....I see it I was looking at myself with beer goggles! What an evil trick my AD played on me. I hope it gets better I have dark circles under my eyes that won't quit. One good thing my face is losing the bloat! Let's hang in there check back in 6 months!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Man, I feel ya on this one! I just accepted that I would forever have huge bags under my eyes. It's crazy how you begin to change and not even realize it!
Old 02-18-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Mvngon, (day 5 for me)? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I had bad acne rosacea on my face it cleared up after 6 months or so . My skin isn't so dry and flakey now, face not so puffy and my eyes are clear . I'm just winding down day 534 ,hope i get another chance to live sober tomorow, you can do it too

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No! no! Not vain at all. It's one of those 'little things' that help us 'get it' and what is going on with our bodies and what we have done to them.
I noticed changes to my face happening as soon as 10 days after stopping and getting off the wine train. Not drastic, but there was a slimming effect around my cheeks and jawline.
Now that it's been over 2 months, people have noticed and asked what I have done. I tell them I started working out again and getting more sleep. The sleep part is not a lie, the other part will happen soon, I hope.
Yes, I had chronic bloodshot eyes, ruddiness around my nose and cheeks and overall 'puffiness'. The same look I see in many people who drank as much or more than I did and haven't stopped or don't want to. (their choice and I would never 'preach' to them or stop being a friend.).
After quitting the wine, I lost weight. I started taking better care of my skin, washing off the makeup every night instead of leaving it on and sleeping in it. That little bit helped tons. I also think those 'mirror moments' give me some affirmations that feeling better in general is a great trade off. I get more done, my confidence is coming back and looking better seems to be a positive.
Whatever helps you, helps you, even if it seems kind of selfish at the time.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow! It is so very wonderful to find that I am not alone on this one. I truly thought that by putting this out there would I would come off as petty, but it's a pretty big deal to me. Those bags and the dark circles...yikes! A terrible reminder, but one more motivator. Thanks for the kind words of support. I'm glad that I found this place.